Custom Built cabinet help

Turbox

Internal volume of the following

length is 79.5 inches- the horn legth is 39.5 inches exacly, I've added 20 inches on each side of the horn to accommodate the woofers.

depth is 21 inches - Horn depth with the driver is about 20 inches, I've left a small cushion

height 28 inches - the horn width is 25.5 inches, I've left a little extra for some wood for strength in the from motorboard. Also the woofer is 15.25 inches, and the 510 horn height is 9 inches. total of 24.5

total volume = 46746 inches cubed.

Couldn't you build it so each 15 is sealed in its own cab. Make them half the volume of the 904 and you would only need half the ports. That way you have all the sizes done. It would still be one big cab though. 

I thought about sealing off each woofer inside the cabinet as well, with half the volume yes. Does the calculation remain the same for ports? So half the volume and use two ports with the same length of vent piping?

I don't think it does, I think its more complicated than that...

• Moderators
Turbox, on 20 Sept 2014 - 1:28 PM, said:

Use a 402 in a centre channel?

Sorry just seen this

Yes a 402 in a center but without it being another Jub,  a center that can keep up without sacrificing sound built as a real center speaker.

length is 79.5 inches- the horn legth is 39.5 inches exacly, I've added 20 inches on each side of the horn to accommodate the woofers.

depth is 21 inches - Horn depth with the driver is about 20 inches, I've left a small cushion

height 28 inches - the horn width is 25.5 inches, I've left a little extra for some wood for strength in the from motorboard. Also the woofer is 15.25 inches, and the 510 horn height is 9 inches. total of 24.5

Is that the internal volume or the external volume of the cabinet?  The internal volume of a 904 is right at about 15,600 cu in by the way...

I can't imagine what kind of lobing, comb filtering, and polars one might encounter with some of the exotic combinations with woofers 4' apart.  I would think the best sound would come from the simplest combination that would closely match the Jubs.  With my Jubs, at Roy's recommendation, I use a LaScala bass cab with a 402 on top, but I have an AT screen.  A LaScala bass cab is 24.5" tall.  The 510 horn is 9" tall.  Total height 33.5"  With thoughtful planning on a DIY, you could probably get the total height of the LS bass cab with 510 on top down to about down to about 32.5".

The DE75 driver is the secret.  KISS

Edited by bhendrix

I can't imagine what kind of lobing, comb filtering, and polars one might encounter with some of the exotic combinations with woofers 4' apart.  I would think the best sound would come from the simplest combination that would closely match the Jubs.  With my Jubs, at Roy's recommendation, I use a LaScala bass cab with a 402 on top, but I have an AT screen.  A LaScala bass cab is 24.5" tall.  The 510 horn is 9" tall.  Total height 33.5"  With thoughtful planning on a DIY, you could probably get the total height of the LS bass cab with 510 on top down to about down to about 32.5".

The DE75 driver is the secret.  KISS

What about introducing a phase shift introduced between the two woofers? That should alleviate the comb filtering, shouldn't it? If using electronic crossovers, each woofer would get it's own channel. That way, he could use the design above.

One could also reverse the polarity of the two woofers to make them exactly 180 degrees out.

Is that the internal volume or the external volume of the cabinet?  The internal volume of a 904 is right at about 15,600 cu in by the way...

Yes internal volume.

If I am correct, you should be able to use the same ports cut to 1/3 of their original length. 46,746/15,600=3

Edited by mustang guy

• 1 year later...

Consider this approach:  https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/161404-a-k-402-based-full-range-multiple-entry-horn/

Two 15" Crites cast frame woofers.  I'd recommend an digital crossover to do the EQ.  This is time-aligned and coaxial (i.e., all drivers are within 1/4 wavelength at their crossover frequency), and when EQed can extend downwards to below 30 Hz.

The sound is spectacular. 

If you absolutely have to have 3-way, then I'd recommend a BMS 4592ND compression driver instead of a K-69-A: http://www.bmsspeakers.com/index.php?id=bms_4592nd

Chris