Finally hearing the harshness people speak of

Emjay

With my set-up, music (classical, modern orchestral, jazz, a little pop) Audyssey XT sounds best with about 6 dB bass boost

I do the same, but accomplish it out at the subwoofer power amp. Ran Audyssey (on the AS-EQ1), set levels and crossover, then used a test tone and DMM to dial up the power amp +6 dB over flat. Then I knock the trim down to -4 dB for movies, and -0 dB for music playback using the sub level button on my remote.

Yes, doing so tends to push the acoustic crossover around just a little bit, but as long as I don't get too ham-fisted with boosting the trim above -0, the end result is a system that sounds excellent when driving either 2-ch or movies.  :emotion-21:

What I don't understand is how the producers, recordists and artists can stand to play most of their own products at home.

Excellent question.  :emotion-22:

What I don't understand is how the producers, recordists and artists can stand to play most of their own products at home.

Or why their opinions don't have any sway on what gets released.

Case in point: both Fruciante and Keidis have bitched and moaned about Californication and By The Way explicitly, calling them "unlistenable".  But does the label release a listenable version sans digital clipping and compression?  No.  (Too bad, too, as the music therein is freakin' awesome.)