Cornwall woofers...K-33P or K-34E?

jimjimbo

Looking at installing a pair of one or the other....(I know, I know...install both and see which ones you like...), but my question is I suppose, from a "technical" or "desirable" perspective, which of the two carries more rarity/worth/sound quality/etc, etc, etc. Any difference in freq. response? 

K-33-P is square magnet, K-34E is round magnet.  Thanks for your input.

Looking at installing a pair of one or the other....(I know, I know...install both and see which ones you like...), but my question is I suppose, from a "technical" or "desirable" perspective, which of the two carries more rarity/worth/sound quality/etc, etc, etc. Any difference in freq. response? 

Into which cabinet?

Not super familiar with it, but I think the K-34 is a K-33 designed to mount from the front. Since it's the cabinet doing most of the work, I would say the difference between the two is not more than the tolerance variation between any two driver one serial number apart from the same batch. You can't go wrong either way.

Both would have ceramic magnets; however, I believe that the square magnet would be a driver built before 1985 and the round magnet would indicate the build after 1985.

It shouldn't matter for a Cornwall cabinet since the Cornwall box is tuned for 38 Hz; however, the pre-1985 drivers had a resonance frequency of FS = 25.5 Hz while the post-1985 drivers had a FS = 34.46 Hz.

Open for a better explanation; however, the way I think of the FS or resonance frequency is where you will find it much more difficult, if  it even can at all, to produce lower frequencies than the driver’s FS in a ported cabinet or a sealed cabinet.

For example, in a ported cabinet or sealed cabinet a driver with a FS = 65 Hz will have a very difficult time producing 35 Hz, if it can at all.  A driver with a FS = 30 Hz can produce 32 Hz if the box is tuned low enough.   Horn loaded cabinets are much less affected by the FS of the driver as horn uses the driver more as a piston.

Here is a thread with the full TS parameters for pre and post 1985 K33 woofers (note that K34 would be the same as the post 1985 K33 woofer as the main difference as Claude pointed out is an additional mounting gasket for front mount in the baffle).

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/64604-do-these-t-s-numbers-look-right-for-a-k-33

Post 1985

Tom, those numbers are for the original K-33 before they made the change. The "modern" K-33 has a Fs of 34Hz.

PART # K-33

RE OHMS 3.39

LE MH .96

FS HZ 34.46

QE .410

QM 7.39

QT .390

VAS LTRS 301.66

XMAX MM 8.20

BL TM 11.88

MMS GMS 78.59

CMS mm/N .2714

RMS NS/M 2.3037

SD SCM 889.59

EBP 84.4

EFF % 2.91

SPL dB 96.6

Wattage 150rms

Pre 1985

Tom,

I have some of them.

FS is 25.5, Re is 3.39, VAS is 302 liters, QM is 5.95, QE is 0.31, QT is 0.30. Sensitivity is about 95 db. Coil is 1 mH.

Pmax is 150 watts. Xmax is 7.15 mm.

Anyway, according the the engineer at Eminence, these things will perform exactly like the pre-1985 K-33Es that they made for Klipsch.

Bob Crites

Edited by Fjd