Subwoofer Experts...

SWL

I've tried it different ways with different setups with different results....but wondering if there is a rule of thumb when it comes to setting the gains on the 'sub itself' vs. the gain in the menu of 'the AVR'.

--Should the gain on the AVR be set higher than the gain on the sub?

--Should the gain on the sub be set higher than the gain on the AVR?

-- Should the gains be set as close to the same as possible?

-- Does it even matter.....set it the way it sounds best? (this is my approach to most things audio)

Thanks subwoofer dudes.... :emotion-21:

Prior to running autocalibration, with the test tone, turn the gain up on the sub until you reach 73-75 db.  Use an spl meter to check the db level at the main listening position.  Once autocalibration is done the trim level in the avr should be around 0 give or take a couple of db.  This is a great read for setting up your sub:    http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=95817

--Should the gain on the AVR be set higher than the gain on the sub?   --Should the gain on the sub be set higher than the gain on the AVR?   -- Should the gains be set as close to the same as possible?   -- Does it even matter.....set it the way it sounds best? (this is my approach to most things audio)
The gain stage in the AVR for the subwoofer channel is only a preamp.

In light of that, it's a trim setting (no matter what they label it as)...and the rule of thumb is that it should be set smack-dab in the middle of its range for your preferred maximum playback level to avoid clipping the channel. That leaves the option to trim it back down for anything else.

Match levels by proper placement, maximizing boundary loading whilst avoiding boundary cancellations, in combination with using the level knob on the subwoofer power amp.

SPL meter is a minimum requirement to do it right.

Start with "flat" as a target...document your settings, then tweak from there.

Svs recommended to me to set the sub as high as possible to allow full potential of the amplifier. Now when I say high as possible I mean high as possible while still being in the calibration zone. So turn it up to say 3/4 and run calibration one time and then check level. If it's set at -15 or low as yours goes then sub is too hot. Then I down. If it set at -2 then your sub volume could still go up higher. Made since to me when they told me that.

I'm using an RSW-15 along with a couple 18" EV subs.....two-channel only.

I abandoned HT a few years ago but it's almost mandatory for me to use multiple subs in addition to my speakers (KLF-30's) that are capable of delivering adequate bass on their own.....but not quite enough for me because I'm mental when it comes to bass.

After going through several preamps for two channel use....none of which had bass management....I've come full circle and have come back to a Denon 3805 (preamp only).....an excellent match for my speakers. So I'm reliving all that an AVR has to offer as far as delays, x-over points etc.....works out very good for me.

Thanks much for all the suggestions so far.

Edited by SWL