help me build a better coyote call

Paducah Home Theater

I have seen several DIY jobs in hunting forums but the ones I have seen have been fairly ghetto. Thought maybe some audio guys might be able to build a better mousetrap. Basically I need a small full range horn that will carry for a long way, weatherproof if possible, need to be able to hook it up to a small preferably weatherproof amp and self contained battery, and need to feed it somehow, worst case via my phone but ideally with built-in MP3's, would be awesome if it had a hand held remote and didn't require my phone to be on especially during night hunting. Any ideas? This is what one typically looks like:

http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/forums/93-how/92685-how-building-predator-e-caller-pics.html

Basically typically revolving around the Radio Shack horn and mini-amp. I just can't imagine that a 9v battery would last long or be very loud though. I need to be able to blast this across a field that is 3/4 mile long. That mini-amp is made for in-room listening of an iPod with a buddy. That horn may be perfectly fine but feeding it with a tiny amp powered by a tiny battery that is fed by a bright phone that isn't exactly weatherproof could probably be improved upon.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

The horn is an amp too, you know. The bigger the horn the more amplification you get. You could use a K-402, and power it with half a watt and it would carry an injured rabbit call for miles.

Also, there is nothing keeping you from setting a car battery out there and powering with it. You just need to add a resistor of proper value.

I have a Foxpro Wildfire, and it lasts a long time on 4 AA's. Also has a remote, an external speaker connection and bypass, and USB for loading your own call mp3's.

edit: I bought mine with Cabela bucks, as I have a Cabela's Visa. 

Edited by mustang guy

I can help you with a recommendation for the mini-amp; Dayton Audio DTA-1, about 30 bucks.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-1-class-t-digital-ac-dc-battery-powered-mini-amplifier-15-wpc--300-380

It is rubber coated, and can run on 8 AA batteries.  I have never run it on batteries.  I use mine for experimenting with speakers though my PC, it is quick and easy to use, and the sound is really good! 

Used to play a varmint caller around the house.   Our female dog at the time would get all kinds off out ta shape when we called with the coyote puppies whining.  She did not care about the wounded rabbit, or anything else on there.  Just Play The Whining Pups and she got wound up right now, and for as long as you would play it.  I think we Banned it when the dog was anywhere around.

That said I have a caller that has some kind of speaker that looks about right to fit those cheer Leader Horns the use at ballgames.  You could trim the cone to fit, or tape it up with Duct tape.  Animals in the wild can both hear and smell very well.  Make sure to set them up wind of you,    I've seen animals just git a whiff of of someone coming and take off.