Upgrading a K-horn Squawker & Layne Audio

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,

My network will work with most any squawker driver if you set the taps right. You have to know if the driver is 8 or 16 ohms. I have heard Layne Audio doesn't even know what impedance the K55 is! BEWARE! If they are not 16 Ohms, it's the stock Klipsch networks that won't work right with them.

By the way, I changed out the K501 horn for Altec 811 / 511 horns on my Bells before I changed the driver. I had the K55s riged on them at first. The difference is obvious! upgrade the horn, not the driver!

Al K.

This message has been edited by Al Klappenberger on 08-07-2002 at 08:40 AM

Al, How did you mount your Klipsch driver to the Altec horn? I am thinking of boring a 1 3/8 hole in a plate (to keep it centered) that I can bolt onto the 511 horn and then clamping the driver between that plate and another with treaded rod.

Jim N

quote:

Originally posted by TBrennan:

In my opinion if you fellas want to improve your midrange it's that damned horn you need to change, not the driver. Jnorv and I talked about this a couple of weeks ago while listening to some VOTs. I did very well when I owned LaScalas by going to the EV SM-120A horns, radials with a wide pattern. They ridded my LSs of their "fierceness" and improved imaging too. And they are the coolest looking horns I ever saw. :-) Check the attatchment.

tom,

I like those horns! it looks like you can put your speakers parallel to the listening place, without toeing them in! That's a great advantage IMHO...

but what about the cut-off frequency? is it really low enough to reach the x-over 400Hz frequency?

also, are they expensive? would they work along with K77 / T35 tweters, or should I change the tweeters too for better polar dispertion?

i'd like to find a pair of those horns... but here in Belgium... :o/

Jim N

I mounted the K55V driver to the 511 horns just as you describe except I used a square slice of 5/8 inch particle board with the driver force-threaded into a hole (see pix). I had new JBL drivers on order and I only had them that way for a week or two. Atlas sells throat adaptors that will do the throat conversion properly. I think they go for around $25 each.

Al K.

Mike---The rig pictured is all EV, EV drivers on the horns. They are screw-on type horns and Klipsch drivers go right on them. IMO these horns have better tonality than K-400s, they spread the energy in a much wider pattern (120 degrees is claimed) and don't sound at all raspy or "earwirey" as the K-400s did to me. They also made a wider image, threw an apparent image that was wider than the speaker spacing. My opinion and my taste you understand. Check the attatchment for a rear view.

Shock--The horns work fine down to 400hz, I had no problem and EV used the horns down to 400hz in their Sentry IV 3-way all horn system. The horns are no longer in production and must be found used, I see them on ebay once in a while. I almost bought a pair not long ago but I've 7 sets of horns now, gotta call it quits. Not too expensive, price varies. If I had big Klipsches I'd look for a set or be ready to pounce on them if I saw some available. My opinion.

I think they worked fine with T-35s. Of course that was a long time ago and I didn't know things like having mid and tweeter dispersion match. But then having high frequency dispersion narrower than midrange dispersion sounds fine on 2-way horn rigs anyhow.

www.chicagohornspeakerclub.org

You might be right about it being the K-400 & 401 horn. Look at the size of the Horn that Klipsch is using on top of the Jubilee.

I looked in a Parts Express catalog last night and found two horns that look interesting. They are both rated down to 400Hz. and are made by Selenium. They are Bi-Radial horns with a dispersion of 120 degree H. x 40 degree V. with 2" throats & 4 hole mounting.

The HC56-50 is 23" wide, 11" high, 15 1/2" deep for $89.90, (LaScala). The HC79-50 is 33" wide, 12 1/2" high , 21" deep $136.95, (Klipschorn). Selenium has the approiate throat adapters.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

Mike,

I might end up smacking you one along side your head. Those LaScalas are now the best looking ones that I've ever seen. What is it that you plan to do with them?

Cut off the top section completely?

Enlarge the mid. horn hole to fit the 511, and mount the tweeter on top? If there is enought room.

Put the 511 on top of the cabinet?, so you don't change the stock LaScala.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

This message has been edited by Q-Man on 08-10-2002 at 08:14 AM

I thought about that, but I have ULD 15 crossed at 85 Hz, so it might not be too bad. My plan is to build a pair of modified 825 cabinets and use JBL 2205's, since I already have one and only need to buy another. Have you checked the price of Altec 515B's lately?

Jim N

I replaced the k-v-55 and t35 on my k-horns. They now have a Altec 8005 Tar filled multi celled hornswith 288B drivers, and jbl 2404 baby cheek tweets for high end and using ALK crossover.

A very noticable improvement in midrange. To me I have the best of both worlds now with K-horn Bass, and Altec Midrange.

Assuming exponential expansion, the cut off frequency of the 511B is below 350 Hz. Since I am now using Klipsch and Lauyne drivers that claim response to below 400Hz, I have not noticed any problem. I plan on bi-amping and crossing at somewhere above 500 Hz with the Altec drivers.

Jim