Need to pick a HDTV for my Cornwall H/T

Vahorns

Ok, here goes...

I want to do a larger TV for the Home theatre.

I have $2,000 to spend, and I have looked at a Toshiba 36" HDTV ready that is Flat screen, in the $1599 range at Costco.

Also looked at a 48" Panasonic projection widescreen TV for about the same price at Costco.

I am lost!

Can anyone help me get started on the education path for buying a larger (at least 34") HDTV or compatible

in the $2,000 range?

Any sites recommended to start the process?

Klipsch to ya!

------------------

My Home theatre setup:

*** 5 Cornwall 1s (1984-85 vintage)

*** Technics SA 10 receiver

*** Technics DVD-Audio/CD/DVD Model DVD-A10 player

*** greatly modified (by Musical Concepts) Hafler DH-200 amp

*** modified TP-450 Adcom preamp/tuner

*** greatly modified Dynaco PAT4

*** Sony WEGA 32"

*** Sony VHS Super HI-FI VCR

*** Phillips HI FI VCR recorder

Misc. equipment

*** RCA early DVD player

*** Yamaha high-end '70s vintage tuner

*** Kenwood KD500 concrete-resin base, direct-drive TT with English Mayware low-mass arm

*** Sumiko Bluepoint cartridge

*** very early (circa 1975) Polk Audio Monitor 10s (hand built by the man himself)

*** 2 early Polk Audio LF12 subwoofers

*** prototype KLH TUBE AMP (circa 1967)

i got two MITS (Mitsubitsi) HDTV's, the 46" and the 55"

i like them an pioneer for projection, them only really. sony is ok, but the rest, well hitachi is also very good, the rest are sub par.

MITS allows you to upgrade the insides with a capsule you can get, guarenteed to be upgradeable, huge plus for me.

tubes beat projection hands down, with HDTV signal, not soo much but still, they win.

go to The Home THeater Store, they sell more HDTV's than anyone else.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

s>

I'm aiming at a big TV and have not pulled the trigger just yet.

One thing you should do is buy a magazine like Sound and Vision, formerly Stereo Review. Probably also available at your public library. I'm not saying you have to follow that month's glowing review. Take things with a grain of salt. If you read the review of the high end stuff, you'd think the $2000 units are vastly inferior. I doubt that is true. We all have midrange equipment in other areas which works just fine.

On the other hand, a couple of issues' reading will be an education. It seems to me that rear projection is the most bang for the buck and is mainstream technology. I note that most new RPTV do a lot of signal processing, like line doubling, 3:2 pull down, etc. That means you don't have to have a DVD player which does that. (Something I learned from reading.)

Also, it is fairly apparent from my reading that any RPTV will benefit from your efforts at alignment of convergence of color temperature, etc. That is the first thing any reviewer does.

Showroom settings are probably tweeked to appear good at first viewing with excess brightness and contrast, but not critical viewing (seeing into the shadows). You can adjust that. In other stores, I see what are probably good sets which need convergence alignment. Again something which you have to play with.

Also give some thought to shipping and installation cost, what will fit in your doors, and how much room you have.

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 07-30-2002 at 09:10 PM

I'm with avman. For your $2000 I'd look at the 36" XBR Sony VVEGA.

Hey Gil. Were you reading Video mag about 7-8 years ago when they printed the article about setting up your TV with a blue filter and a test disc? Many laserdiscs had test patterns much like Video Essentials. Video mag offered a free blue filter and instructions on setup. Using the filter and adjusting my RPTV yielded good results. After initial adjustments one would wonder if there was an improvement. After several days of watching you could really see the improvement. Of course, you could also pay a tech several hundred $ too!

If you're interested I could possibly (find) dig out the issue and pass along the info.

Keith

I got the following in March:

1. Toshiba 36 inch HDTV $1800

2. Panasonic RP91 Progressive Scan DVD DVD-A player $ 460

3. Dish Network HDTV tuner for SAT and terrestrial signals $ too much(600), but if you are an early adopter you have to throw caution to the wind sometimes.

HDTV terrestrial PBS is AWESOME!

DVD via component cables...excellent

Super Bit DVD of Dracula and Desperado very close to HD

Discovery channel HDTV feed on "Praying Mantis" too cool

Definitely if you get HDTV; get a progressive scan DVD player; not enough HDTV programming yet.

I haven't pulled the trigger on a big screen tv, either. I think 36" is kind of small for a "large" TV. ou're looking at a big picture tube and not a rear projection. You'll get the best picture with this type of set. I think the picture tube maxs out at around 40-42". Also, you should shop around because I saw some much bigger sets for around 2k. I, personally, liked the Hitachi sets the best and then Toshiba. Sony was the worst which was a surprise since they always have the best standard TV's (confirmed this at two different locations). The other thing to consider is wide screen vs. standard. I like standard. It's less money and most of the programming is still in standard. Unless you watch mostly DVD's I don't see a reason to buy WS, imho. Also, you're going to pay a premium for HDTV. HDTV has its own frequency 1080. If you buy a set that is non HDTV and is 900 lines of resolution it will not do HDTV and will bump you down to around 480 lines. I think HDTV is a good investment since more and more channels are broadcasting in this format. Large screen TV's don't have the best picture until you run an HDTV signal into them. When you demo sets make sure you ask to see a non-HDTV signal too. Let us know how u make out.

------------------

My Klipsch Page

www.nyonline.com/klipsch

Everyone---

Thanks for the insights/replys. I have a lot of homework to do before committing to a new set.

I realize shipping could be costly, but are there preferred sites to buy these sets?

Regards,

Stew Deavers

------------------

My Home theatre setup:

*** 5 Cornwall 1s (1984-85 vintage)

*** Technics SA 10 receiver

*** Technics DVD-Audio/CD/DVD Model DVD-A10 player

*** greatly modified (by Musical Concepts) Hafler DH-200 amp

*** modified TP-450 Adcom preamp/tuner

*** greatly modified Dynaco PAT4

*** Sony WEGA 32"

*** Sony VHS Super HI-FI VCR

*** Phillips HI FI VCR recorder

Misc. equipment

*** RCA early DVD player

*** Yamaha high-end '70s vintage tuner

*** Kenwood KD500 concrete-resin base, direct-drive TT with English Mayware low-mass arm

*** Sumiko Bluepoint cartridge

*** very early (circa 1975) Polk Audio Monitor 10s (hand built by the man himself)

*** 2 early Polk Audio LF12 subwoofers

*** prototype KLH TUBE AMP (circa 1967)

If you buy a RPTV buy one with a diagonal screen size 1/3 to 1/4 you're viewing distance. In other words, if you're sitting 12' from the screen, 144" divided by 4 equals...carry the one, naught,naught... 36". Or 144" divided by 3 equals 48". ~ 42" diagonal screen size should be about right. Don't remember if the old rec was 1/3 or 1/4. Anyway, too large a screen is worse than too small a screen IMO.

Try a Sony XBR RP. Properly set up, I don't think you can beat them.JMO.

Keith

I've been fooling around with the issue of just how big the screen will be from a viewing seat.

My solution to measurement is to put my arms out stretched and spread the fingers on my hands. The thumbs at the center and pinkies at the side. Crude, but it is "portable" and doesn't rely on math.

I sit pretty much up front at movie theaters. Generally, I find that the screen view reaches from pinky to pinky.

This gives some appreciation of just how big a home tv will have to be to recreate the theater experience.

When shopping for the master system (which I might buy), I do this in show rooms. The salesmen may think I'm wierd. Okay, I'm wierd anyway.

None the less, it a bit of a yardstick.

The 34 inch Sony Trinitron HDTV looks great, but to get pinky to pinky coverange, we're sitting very close.

On the other hand. Ahem. Big sets show artifacts up close. Yet when you move back to pinky to pinky distance, they're not obvious.

Something to consider. The pinky to pinky distance may well give you a yardstick by which to evaluate different sets of different sizes. Naturally, I'm looking at the the blank wall at home and wondering just how big a set I need.

Gil

Viewing distance and size is a concern, but I think that the 1:3 rule is a little too restrictive. For my money, 53" or smaller works well at 12' distance. 50" or smaller is good for 10 to 11 ft distance. I have a 50", about 11 feet from prime viewing areas, and I'm glad that I didn't settle for the 42" unit that I first looked at.

That said, $2000 can buy you a very good set in the 50" range. I recommend visiting local stores to compare brands and models (although this is tough due to store setings on models), and once you settle on a specific brand and model, then turn to the web. Go to the Google search engine site, do a search for your model number, then take a little time and check out the online stores offering prices (make sure to check shipping prices too!). You can then buy online, or print out the lowest offers and try some local stores to see if they'll price match. I did this, and got Sears to take $400 off their "sale" price for a Toshiba 50" widescreen.

I sit about 10' from my 61" rear projection. It took about a day for my eyes to adjust. I wouldn't want anything smaller. A quality picture is primarily based on two things, the resolution capability of the set, and the video source. The local signal in my area is poor, a big screen only magnifies the poor picture. Digital satellite looks good, and DVD even better. Unfortuantly I have yet to experience its capabilities with an HDTV source. I much prefer watching DVDs in my home than going to the theater, its a far more enjoyable experience.

------------------

Thanks,

Bill

Primary HTS

Mains: Black La Scalas

Rears: Walnut Belles

Center: Black KLF C7

Rear Center: None Yet

Front Effects: None Yet

Sub: Velodyne CT-150

Extra: Black Chorus IIs

Receiver: Yamaha RXV3000

TV: HD Toshiba 61" 61H70

DVD: Sony DVP-S560D

one of the main things to consider besides the pic of course Smile.gif is the base of the unit. personally i dont like the huge behomoth box rp sets, or the floor buckling sony wega type tube sets. i opted for a 43" toshiba which is very slim and can be placed in an armoir for instance. as for hd its so worth it Smile.gif i have a toshiba dst3000 direct tv box and the pic is unbelievable. i live in ny and watched soo many met games in hd last summer it was better than season tickets Smile.gif unfortunately all of ny's digital transmitters were on top of tower one wtc Frown.gif

as for shipping check out amazon usually they have specials on free white glove delivery which is a major plus

Gil, the larger Mitsubishis split in half horizontally to make them easy to move up stairs and fit through doorways. In fact, I was surprised when my 65" Mitsu was far easier to move than the maximum sized tube TV it replaced.

The set-up DVD in Video Essentials comes with a piece of blue 35mm film for more precise color setting. It also recommends a neutral gray for the area behind the TV, identical speakers for the left, center and right main speakers, and a lot of experimenting for subwoofer locations. The original disk includes the "dipole ProLogic" mentality... and, thus, is a bit long in the tooth... and available for far less than the original asking price.

Since DVD movies are its prime fare, I chose the 16:9 aspect ratio... Mitsu has several screen orientations so "black bars" on 4:3 can be avoided with the acceptance of the premise that we live in a distorted world after all. cwm3.gif -HornEd

PS: Vahorns, congratulations on the Five Cornwall HT... I'll bet you will also like adding a sixth for rear effects. The original Cornwalls are great... and can even be had in the "vertical" style which PWK intended to be on its side as a center channel. My attempt at creating an all Cornwall 6.1 system got sidetracked when I picked up a pair of Khorns and a Belle... relegating the Cornwall's to side/surround duties in my music system.

This message has been edited by HornEd on 08-06-2002 at 09:58 AM