New (old) Cornwalls found....tear in dust cap.

bert9576

don't worry about replacing the caps, just sit back and enjoy them for awhile. the biggest thing is to make sure that all drivers are working. pull the grills and stuff a towel in the midrange, ( to block it off ) put your ear up to the tweeter and see if its working. its the hardest of the 3 to hear. you should be able to hear the other 2 without any problem.

congrats. after i bought my first cornwalls i ended up with at least 8 pairs or more

Thanks Budman....I'll check this out as soon as I get home today.

So, I'm guessing you knew this might happen based on your instructions...I can't tell if the tweeters are working! Even with tshirts in the midrange I'm not entirely sure if anything's coming out of them. However, the overall sound is good with plenty of highs...could those just be coming from the mids? Any advice/thoughts?

Guest Steven1963

Welcome to the forums.

I do not think it will affect the sound; there might be some vibration but I doubt you could hear it.  You can repair as stated above, IF you wish to do so.  You can replace the caps in the networks and improve the sound as the ones that are in there (if they are original) are worn out. You will notice more of a sonic improvement doing that than you would if you fixed the dust cap. You are correct, they were made in 1976. Grats on some very nice speakers at a steal of a price.

Thanks Steve! I was a little nervous when I bought them since I'm a neophyte, but I did a little research online (that's how I found this forum) and thought it a good price :)

A couple of people have mentioned replacing the caps...do these typically go bad? Expensive to fix/replace?

They get old.  They don't necessarily go bad.  They will still work.  My point was that you would notice more of a difference replacing the capacitors than you would fixing the dust cap.  They are not expensive to replace (although expensive is a relative term) if you do it yourself and replace only the caps and not the complete crossover - which is not necessary to do unless/until you become more involved in shaping the sound.  :)

Welcome to the forums.

I do not think it will affect the sound; there might be some vibration but I doubt you could hear it.  You can repair as stated above, IF you wish to do so.  You can replace the caps in the networks and improve the sound as the ones that are in there (if they are original) are worn out. You will notice more of a sonic improvement doing that than you would if you fixed the dust cap. You are correct, they were made in 1976. Grats on some very nice speakers at a steal of a price.

Thanks Steve! I was a little nervous when I bought them since I'm a neophyte, but I did a little research online (that's how I found this forum) and thought it a good price :)

A couple of people have mentioned replacing the caps...do these typically go bad? Expensive to fix/replace?

They get old.  They don't necessarily go bad.  They will still work.  My point was that you would notice more of a difference replacing the capacitors than you would fixing the dust cap.  They are not expensive to replace (although expensive is a relative term) if you do it yourself and replace only the caps and not the complete crossover - which is not necessary to do unless/until you become more involved in shaping the sound.  :)

Makes sense. I dropped Crites an email and he said pretty much the same thing. I'll probably just replace the caps for now and see what that does. One speaker, and it seems to be coming from the woofer (the one with the tear in the dust cap), definitely sounds 'fuzzier'. I'm hoping repairing the dust cap and caps takes care of this....thanks for the advice.

If you can't hear the tweets you can unhook one terminal and test with OHM meter. Open circuit means it is bad. It can be rebuilt or buy a new one from Crites or he can rebuild it for you several options there. They are worth fixing up even if you have to do it a little at a time.  Rick

Edited by ricktate

"If you can't hear the tweets you can unhook one terminal and test with OHM meter"

No need to lift one terminal on Cornwal I, Heresy I, Klipschorn, LaScala or Belle models for tweeter test.

For midrange test you must lift one terminal.

If you can't hear the tweets you can unhook one terminal and test with OHM meter. Open circuit means it is bad. It can be rebuilt or buy a new one from Crites or he can rebuild it for you several options there. They are worth fixing up even if you have to do it a little at a time. Rick

Oh and from the pics you posted I think you need to spread the speakers out as far as you can looks like you have room on that wall. I think you will like the sound better if you angle them in to your seating position.  Rick

Will do...my TV's sitting on one of them right now but as soon as I can get it mounted, I'll spread them out.

"If you can't hear the tweets you can unhook one terminal and test with OHM meter"

No need to lift one terminal on Cornwal I, Heresy I, Klipschorn, LaScala or Belle models for tweeter test.

For midrange test you must lift one terminal.

DJK...I tested them as you suggested in and it returned a reading of 3.8. I'll expose my ignorance but is this good or bad? :)

Woofer~3.8Ω

Mid~11Ω

Tweet~6Ω

Little confused here KF....I thought I was testing the tweeter as DJK suggested by touching both terminals (rather than lifting one as previously suggested). We are talking about the main terminals on the back side of the speaker box right? Not the terminals on the individual speaker? Should I open the cabinet and be testing each speaker directly?