May have found fix for nasty rattling many SW10 (II)'s develop

moxie50

So happy with the sound of my SW10 (had new since '94) I bought a used one a few years back, and proved to myself that my desire to even up the loudness on each side (used only for two channel music) with dual subs was not silly, but magical.  However, it seems that I was very much not alone when  the used sub developed a nasty rattle with anything even near medium volume, and, it wasn't all that consistent.

I am a big do-it-yourselfer, but other than taking stuff apart and gazing at the guts (unless its machinery) is about all I'm good for. AND, having been around stereo stuff and guitars and amps most of my life,  I just assumed I knew what a "blown" speaker would sound like, so I took it out.  Called Klipsch Tech Support (man-- were they great!)  They no longer supported that model and had no drivers left, but he recommended contacting Paul at Nevisonics (502-969-0140).  I boxed it up and shipped it to, I think, Louisville (?), and waited, then got an unexpected call that the speaker was just FINE.  Switched out the driver from my good unit and, bang-- there was that nasty rattle.  Paul shipped the driver back.  I think a year has gone by with me barely listening to my system because I was so despondent, and now having suddenly retired, cash flow (And me being a cheap old Pollack) kept me wondering, do I just  #*&^%$ get a new one?  Will the match to my beloved Quartets (the seldom mentioned and unappreciated little brother of Chorus and Forte) be as good, won't visually match all the others and the furniture..........AAAuuurrrgggg.

Called Klipsch again (still great) they don't work on that amp anymore, but recommended Sybesma's Electronics (800-456-4265, Holland MI).  Flat fee quoted by the girl was $120, I didn't talk to a tech about other costs if.. whatever.  What, $20-25ish shipping each way??  AAAuuurrrg?

'

Well, might as well pull the amp out of the box and look at it, would at least have to do that much whomever I took it to.  Maybe something obvious, even to a mechanic, would be found?  Well, heard two thing click into the plastic box which surrounds the amp--WOW-pieces!!  One I think was coincidental, who knows? A small half cylinder shaped brass thingy, searched the whole unit, nothing matched, could only surmise it to be half of a broke split pronged input plug that perhaps the former owner inadvertently shoved into the innards with the next RCA pin he inserted.  The other was a NUT!!!  It had vibrated off a small bolt that went trough the power supply to secure it to the chassis.  Perhaps more importantly--it also secured a bracket that secured one side of a large circuit board--that was probably flapping and vibrating at untold gyrations as that long excursion 10" driver was doing its thing!!!  Tightened it and checked all others, cleaned the pots, and---you guessed it--performed perfectly on the most rigorous bass solo I own:  America's (no shit-- America!) "Woman Tonight".  I just can't believe it, and, yes, its only two days later, but each day, let it warm up, then run that song at 95 db.....YYYEEEEAAAAAYYYYYYYYY.

There is an SW10II for sale on Ebay right now because of popping and crackling--he says "characteristic of these".  Am I one of the few that still use these? (prob--yes--you old Pollack)!  IT IS SO MUCH BETTER FIXED AND BELTING OUT BASS THAN GOING INTO THE DUMPSTER!! (I formerly, infrequently, posted as "moxie")

• Like 1

I remember before I bought my sw 10II, that I was told no matter what, that the woofer would need to be replaced. something every owner of this model had to do eventually.

I did, and haven't had a problem since. don't use it very much anymore, but nice to know it's there in case of sub emergency!

never had any rattling or anything, just a bad woofer.