RS-7's firing down OK?

jorjen

I am replacing my SS-1's with RS-7's(to go with my RF-5's and RC-7). I am not at all happy with my current placement of the surrounds, but am limited somewhat in my available mounting locations. Currently, my surrounds are about one foot behind our listening position and about five feet above(about 8-12 inches from ceiling). I feel with this location that alot of info may be lost. I only have one other potential option due to room configuration and that is to mount the surrounds to the ceiling firing down on the listening postion. Would this be acceptable or should I live with my current location and perhaps calibrate a DB or two hot on the surrounds? Any input/thoughts will be greatly appreciated and respected. Thanks in advance.

------------------

Stubby

Hello,

Mounting the RS7s on the ceiling is not recommended. The technology incorporated in the RS7 relies on diffusion in a horizontal plane.

The unnatural reflections you might recieve could cause some serious imaging problems.

It wouldn't nessessarily sound bad.

It just wouldn't sound like it was designed to

Not that you can't, but rather you shouldn't hang them off the ceiling facing down.

The "by the book" placement for the RS7 is:

1. 5'7' from the floor.

or at least close to that height.

2. Minimum of 1.75' from the ceiling.

3. Place adjacent to, or directly behind, the listening position.

But really, these RS7s are very forgiving when it comes to placement.

I personally run 4 RS7s. 2 Surround-2 Surround Back. I have my surrounds slightly forward of my listening postion and my surround back slightly in from the distance between my mains

The placement when using surround backs has slightly different requirements than without.

Ultimately, experimentation provides the best results. Have fun with 'em and keep 'em on the bulkheads.

P.S. If you have to place them up high, I would suggest leaving the top mounting screw out, about half inch (or so) farther than the bottom one. This would let them angle down towards the listening position.

It is commonly recommended for surround back speakers, maybe it will be useful to you.

Congratulations on your upgrade. Enjoy!

------------------

You should of heard just what I've seen.

This message has been edited by Audioreality on 08-01-2002 at 12:14 AM

Thanks for all the help fellas. I am not going to compromise performance with poor placement. I have decided to beg for the WAF, so that I may remove pictures which hang below my current surround locations for proper placement of the RS-7's. Wish me luck.

------------------

Stubby

Audioreality has explained it well so I'll just add comments about my experience.

I had no choice but to mount my RS-3's right near the ceiling, about 4'-4" above ear level. I was unhappy with the sound so I built a set of mounting brackets that angle the speakers down toward the listening position. Now the centerline of the woofers cross approx. 1 foot above the sweet spot. This turned out to be a big improvement in the sound but it wasn't perfect. I ended up running the surrounds a couple of decibels hot to achieve the sound I wanted and it works great. I highly recommend angling the speakers down whether you run the surrounds hot or keep them at calibrated levels.

Audioreality is correct that it's commonly recommended to leave the top mounting screw out a 1/2" or so to angle them down. I personally hated the look of it so that's why I built the brackets. They're made of wood and I painted them white, like the speakers, and mounted them to the wall. The brackets look like an extension of the sides of the speaker. The whole installation looks very clean and stable IMO.

Cluless,

You should angle them down. It will help a lot. Let me know if you have any questions.

This message has been edited by erdric on 08-03-2002 at 11:55 AM

cluless, who was it who said that people in glass houses shouldn't throw quips?... like, "what is below my surrounds is GLASS, so I can't go any lover."

Now that we KNOW you are discriminating, how about building a special decorative offset RS-7 speaker mount. You know, a block of highly polished hardwood to offset future window treatments and then a descending wood or brass faceplate to hold your RS-7's at just the right height and hide the connecting wire. With some imagination you could even add an upward extender to balanced out the artwork.

Hmmm, this may need more work than a sealskin coat to bark up some subwoofer cash at the toll booth.cwm20.gif

Thanks for your timely parcel... sustenance is on the way! -HornED

erdric -

It really looked like the link that chickey posted had the right hardware for angle mounting the RS-7s. I went to the website and became confused with the hardware.. I'll get my friend to take a look at the web site, and maybe between the two of you, you guys can figure it out...Thanks for the offer.

Horn-ed -

Great to see you back, ....er at least until I took a look and realized the v and the w weren't exactly co-located on the keyboard...so much for typos..Freud speaks yet again...tee hee...

Just a little add on here, Yes, I do realize the original typo (and thus the slip) was mine...But leave it to YOU to find it Ed - LOL!

This message has been edited by cluless on 08-04-2002 at 08:07 AM