External Crossovers

twk123

I have a pair of KG 5.5's and I am working to get the titanium diaphragms then build new crossovers from Bob Crites kit. Anyway, I love the look of the crossovers and think it would be cool to put them in an external enclosure with a glass front. Is there any sonic advantage to doing this?

I heard isolating the crossover from vibration helps with imaging but putting them outside the speaker means more speaker wire etc. However, I heard that replacing the internal speaker wire will change the voice of the speaker as the original design was meant to have a certain wire when they put everything together but I am not too sure about that one. Anyway has anyone else done this and do you think it is a worthwhile project?

All crossover capacitors are microphonic to some degree, and if you calculate the peak SPL inside a closed box, you'll be quite amazed at how loud it gets.  So putting the crossover outside the box MAY be an audible improvement on crossover performance, but only if you are playing them loudly using real amplifier power.

The extra wire needed for mounting outside of the box is not significant, especially if you use similar gauge wire as what the crossover now uses.  The main thing is to avoid really fine gauge wire, but I don't believe that if you used significantly thinner wire that you'd hear any real difference--perhaps after pushing the loudspeaker SPLs hard over time the wires may get very warm. 

Don't wind any extra wire up into coils - rather use a sheepshank-like folding of the wire - or even better, cut the wire the proper length and resolder the end(s).

Worthwhile?  Not really, but if you bi-amped or tri-amped using an active crossover, you WOULD hear a difference...a really big difference.

Chris