RSW-15 Rattling....

SWL

Bought a used RSW-15 a couple years ago in perfect condition. No problems, good performing sub until....

Yesterday, while cranking some bass heavy material at stupid levels I realized the corner where the sub is located was vibrating pretty good. I've noticed this before but to be honest, I don't even come close to cranking it anymore like I used to.....but occasionally I'll let er rip.

So anyway, I go to the corner and the vibrating/rattling is pretty bad. Put my hands on top of the sub with a little down pressure and it stops the rattling. Examined the sub and can't "see" any problems with the cab.

So I take a couple of patio blocks (16"x16"x2") at about 35lbs each....70lbs total and put them on top of the sub with some padding to protect the finish. Problem solved, temporarily.

Here's what blew me away. The sub completely disappeared....but the impact was back with a vengeance...and clean!! I can't get over how smooth the sub is playing now. Don't know how long it has been like this but I wouldn't have caught it if I wasn't cranking "DJ Snake...King of Bass" check it out. Great for testing your subs....or breaking them in my case.LOL.

Just thought I'd mention this for the RSW owners out there. I wouldn't been aware of this if I hadn't physically put some pressure on the cabinet after hearing the rattling.

-Scott

• Like 1

Bought a used RSW-15 a couple years ago in perfect condition. No problems, good performing sub until....

Yesterday, while cranking some bass heavy material at stupid levels I realized the corner where the sub is located was vibrating pretty good. I've noticed this before but to be honest, I don't even come close to cranking it anymore like I used to.....but occasionally I'll let er rip.

So anyway, I go to the corner and the vibrating/rattling is pretty bad. Put my hands on top of the sub with a little down pressure and it stops the rattling. Examined the sub and can't "see" any problems with the cab.

So I take a couple of patio blocks (16"x16"x2") at about 35lbs each....70lbs total and put them on top of the sub with some padding to protect the finish. Problem solved, temporarily.

Here's what blew me away. The sub completely disappeared....but the impact was back with a vengeance...and clean!! I can't get over how smooth the sub is playing now. Don't know how long it has been like this but I wouldn't have caught it if I wasn't cranking "DJ Snake...King of Bass" check it out. Great for testing your subs....or breaking them in my case.LOL.

Just thought I'd mention this for the RSW owners out there. I wouldn't been aware of this if I hadn't physically put some pressure on the cabinet after hearing the rattling.

-Scott

My RF-7's did the same thing. I reinforced the edges on the inside with 1 x 1 wood boards secured with wood glue. Rattle went bye bye and I would venture to say my speakers are stronger than they were before. I cant take credit for the idea but I cant remember who gave me the idea. 

I had to do something similar with my KLF-30's when I first got them (used). I also have a 30lb patio block identical to the ones I mentioned above (cut to size) on top of each speaker...painted black. It's not very noticeable because of all the black acoustic panels in the room but it helps with the bass response significantly. The blocks are 30lbs each and I experimented with up to three blocks (90lbs) on each speaker. I came to the conclusion that one block was enough to get the job done.

So, luckily I ended up with some extra blocks and they ended up coming in handy for the RSW-15. I really don't feel like opening up the cabinet and it's working very well right now so I might just leave it the way it is. That is, until the amp takes a dump....I'll deal with it at that point and I'll probably just go with an external amp to power the sub.

Kinda surprised this happened. This is my third RSW-15 and they've all seemed very well built.