Difference between CHORUS I + CORNWALL ?

DANOCASTER

Mike L-

Bash a LaScala?? Blasphemy, I say! I certainly mean no negativity towards the almighty LaScala - just having a discussion about the various merits of the different models. Constructive, informative discussion is what it's all about - if I came off as bashing in any way, I apologize to both you and your beauuuutiful Scalas.

Certainly LaScalas have taken their lumps because of the look (which I don't have a problem with - your restored LaScalas are proof) - but I pity the fool who looks at them, but doesn't listen to them. Big, big mistake that would be!

The day I bash a Heritage will be the day I burn in #ellSmile.gif

Mike,

I am using a pair of KLF20's right now. I'm going to change them out with the Lascala's maybe this weekend.

I was using a pair of Heresy's, but I liked the sound of the KLF20's better.

I was going to use my Heresy's for my HT. Now I think I'll use the KLF's for HT, Lascala's for 2CH and put the Heresy's in the bedroom after upgrading the Waves.

The problem with this is I have so much equipment laying around. My spare bedroom looks like a stereo shop.

No more Lascala bashing until I get mine home and hooked up.

I won't be using a sub with them until I can sell some of my old stuff.

Danny

No problem at all, Mike.

I missed that thread - I was on String Cheese Incident tour!

Not all gear works for all people - no speaker is good in every room. It sounds like there are more problems in maxg's case than the speakers, unless they were damaged. The room with all hard surfaces certainly doesn't help. That's what makes speakers such an individual decision - preferences, plus the environment where they are used, and the gear they are hooked up to. Mobile Homeless hit this dead on: system synergy is everything.

Personally, I don't find the bass in the LaScala/Belle to be lacking - it's just different in "feel" to the Cornwall (due to horn loading). If one thinks that Scalas/Belles are lacking in bass, there could be a problem with the room or positioning. Otherwise, the answer lies in the Khorn or Cornwall, or a very good subwoofer.

Even amongst the Heritage fans, there are different preferences and expectations. Me and Klipsch Heritage is like George Thorogood song about girls:

"I love 'em small, I love 'em tall, I love 'em all"!!!

...and that goes for the Chorus, Forte, and Quartet too. You just can't lose!

They're all goodSmile.gif

dnd,

I'm in total agreement with you. I bypass my SVS sub when playing 2-channel music. My La Scala's are in the corner (about 18 inches out) and toed in to the sweet spot. There is plenty of bass there for the music I listen to.

I have measured their output using a RS SPL meter and the Sterophile Test CD #2. Using the 1k tone at 75db for reference, they are -1 db at 50hz and -4 db at 40hz. After that, they drop off a cliff but for my purposes, that is fine...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Here's where (I expect) that the 2 channel aficianados (sp?) will think I'm a freak:

For 2 channel, I use subwoofers. 4 15" JBL professional woofers, to be exact (2 woofers x 2 cabinets). I find that numerous large, low excursion woofers are the best at attempting to duplicate that horn loaded feel. The subs give flat response to 30hz - down 4db at 25 hz. Not bloated or boomy - just firm, tight bass. I find that my preamp is a key player in making the subs blend with the Cornwalls - when I got the Krell, it was like getting new, improved JBL subs (not to mention the other sonic benefits to my system overall).

For me, Cornwalls + JBL woofers = my affordable, placement flexible version of Khorns.

I will eventually go Khorn for 2 channel, but for my HT, this is as close as I can get, given budget and room constraints. I will also add that I am a rock and roll listener (albeit not heavy stuff) - not much classical or easy listening stuff goes through my gear - so the requirements and expectations are different than some others on the forum dedicated to 2 channel. Those subs are also my HT LFE. For now, I have one setup that must do it all, and this is how I dealt with my bass requirements - in both HT and 2 channel.

I know it's against normal 2 channel convention (at least from what I gather from most 2 channel listeners here on the Klipsch BBS) but it serves my purpose well.