QSC PLX2 1804 - use for DIY Sub

Beechnut

Could I use one of these for a Tuba HT or Cinema F-20? I have one available for the low low price of FREE, so that is why I'm considering it.

It is a pro amp, with no unbalanced inputs. But I'm thinking a sub-out isn't balanced anyways, so I should be able to just go RCA > TS 1/4" Phono....then us speakon for the inputs to the sub.

Link & Specs below.

http://qsc.com/products/power_amplifiers/plx2_series/PLX1804/

PLX2 Series Features

All models

• Very light weight ("02" models, 21 lb/9.5 kg, "04" models 13 lb/5.9 kg).
  • Cooling design exhausts hot air out the front, keeping the rack cool. Flow-through heat sinks require no filters that could become clogged.
  • Front panel LED power, clip, -10 dB, and signal present indicators for system monitoring and troubleshooting. 02 models also feature bridge and parallel mode LED indicators.
  • Two Speakon® NL4 output connectors provide positive-locking speaker connections. Upper connector provides both channel outputs on all four poles (Channel 1: 1+, 1-; channel 2: 2+, 2-) for bridged mono or for single-cable connection to bi-amplified speakers.
  • 21-position front-panel gain controls for precise, repeatable amplifier adjustment.
  • Balanced XLR inputs with parallel TRS connectors accommodate all common input connectors and support loop-through operation.
  • Patented PowerLight power supply technology with other patents pending.

04 models

• Value combined with uncompromised PLX technology, quality and performance for applications that don't require bridged or 2-ohm stereo operation.
  • Two models with power ratings up to 900 watts per channel @ 4 ohms.
  • Clip limiting protects speakers; thermal limiting maintains operation even during abnormal overloads.

Lots of us diy subs guys use pro amps. I however prefer something with eq on board to be able to set LP/hp filters, limiters, and eq to suit my room.

But free is hard to pass. Could take it and if it didn't work sell for cheap and out towards an inuke dsp amp that a few of is are very fond of.

Thanks for the advice.

As far as EQ goes, wouldn't my AVR, working as a pre/pro, be able to do that? My RSW-15 has knobs & dials on it, but they are all set to null values, as I've just let the AVR's Audyssey do the math. Think I have it limited between 20hz - 80 or 100hz. Can't remember.

Thanks for the tip on the fan.

So, I'm thinking of building two subs with the hope of someday being able to bring them in the house. The current system is an aesthetic stretch for my lovely bride. Once we end up in a home with a dedicated room, I'm sure she won't be to worried about large subs.

If I build two in the meantime, pair them with my lascalas on another system without the ability to do room correction, while still using the QSC amps. As I understand it the suggested amps for most of these builds have DSP. I don't think the QSC amps do. So how do you add it, and still use those amps?

If I build two in the meantime, pair them with my lascalas on another system without the ability to do room correction, while still using the QSC amps. As I understand it the suggested amps for most of these builds have DSP. I don't think the QSC amps do. So how do you add it, and still use those amps?

You can use a minidsp if you feel the need, or just send me that nasty archaic old amp and get you one of those new fangled ones with all the bells and whistles :rolleyes:

Edited by CECAA850