I am an insufferable DORK

drdiaboloco

Okay... So I had this Denon 2802 for about three weeks and was feeling a little bit of "cognitive dissonance" about the purchase, feeling that perhaps I should've spent the additional 200 bucks on the 3802... but what can I do? It's paid for and that's that.

Wellllll....

I discovered a small flaw on the INSIDE of the glass/acrylic/plastic window covering the LED display. Didn't see it at first, since I mostly look at the bloody thing at a range of six or eight feet and the flaw was so small that it was unnoticeable until it was seen at very close range. But... Having spent many hundreds of dollars on the receiver that would sit on my shelf for at least a half-dozen years, I felt that I at least deserved an unblemished faceplate.

Back to the (authorized) dealer I went, with the following plan in mind... Return the unit for service and then talk them into trading me up to the 3802.

It worked.

I am SUCH a loser.

It sounds great, though. Smile.gif

------------------

-Me fail English? That's unpossible!

Si, you are the $hit for getting that done!!!

Trust me, on this forum, thats a A+ in Audioing!!!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Yes, this is EXACTLY the reason I wanted to buy the receiver from an authorized dealer... Ya think that BuyDig would've accepted a return for this? Ya think that I could've disconnected the 2802 and had a 3802 sitting on my entertainment center six hours later if I'd bought it on eBay?

Not likely. Smile.gif

Is it my imagination, or is the back-channel hiss a little less noticeable with this unit than the other one? By "noticeable" I do mean when you practically shove your ear in the horn, of course!

I can't believe how much heavier the 3802 is when compared to the 2802. The chassis is almost identical, certainly the dimensions are exactly the same, but there is a SIX KILOGRAM WEIGHT GAIN. Yow.

The remote is much, much better, too. For the first time since I purchased it ten years ago, my Sony tape deck can be operated from a remote! Not that I reckon I will spend much time doing that, of course.

I did notice, however, that anything connected to an optical input can't be piped to the tape deck... Or, I imagine, the audio inputs on the VCR. So, for instance, I can't record the audio from a movie onto a cassette. Again, I don't think I will find myself missing that capability, but I do find it curious. Guess I have to run a couple of patch cords from the DVD player to the receiver and turn off the optical input if I want to record like that.

In any case, not a bad experience all in all.

Now if I can only get that lint off the speaker grilles! Smile.gif

------------------

Well I guess you could run a set of "regular" wires AND the optical "wire" to the receiver, and then just switch back-and-forth between them as your needs dictate.

Thruth be told, I haven't "made a tape" in so long that it's practically a non-issue.

------------------