will This Work? Reasonably Well?

Greetings From Alaska

I would love a pair of LA Scala's but live on the infamous fixed income.

Replacing a Pioneer VSX-1020

with a Pioneer VSX-1124-K which I got for $250 off.

And am looking forward to replacing my current Fronts, a pair of RB-35's with a pair of RF-82 II's. I'd missed Best Buys sale on Black Friday for the RF-28's and was heartbroken. I spent Thanksgiving in the hospital. But now can get these 82's I'mean told are much better speakers for only $217 more I'd have paid for the 28's on Black Friday.

Having discovered the difference between the 82's and the 28's I think I have a lot to be Thankful for.

I plan on using the RB-35's as rears. I'm hoping my RC-10 will still work for a while for my center as well as my RW-12 Sub.

Your comments and advice great fully anticipated.

Edited by Greetings From Alaska
  • Like 1

It occurred to me I hadn't mentioned my audio tastes.

An amazing man named Barry Fey passed away in Denver in April 2013. Barry was a lot like bill graham or chest helms. I knew him sins the day he arranged for me to get a ride hitchhiking to Red Rocks to see my first concert. It was the Beatles and was worth the butt burning my father gave me along with a 2 week grounding.

One night I asked Barry what was THE BEST rock gig he ever saw. Barry didn't hesitate. "THE WHO AT MAMMOTH GARDENS!"

And I agreed with him completely. Heres the set list.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-who/1970/mammoth-gardens-denver-co-73df22b9.htmlenjoy

I love jazz and can listen to Bach for hours, this week it's been Trombone Shorty keeping my neighbors up. And for some years what's passing as Country has been just super!

Most of my life spending a Grand or more on an audio component was no biggie. But now it means I might have to go without something for a while.

I have loved music,truly LOVED music, all of my life. One of my earliest memories is hearing my mother singing somewhere over the Rainbow in an attempt to ease my terror of a lightning and thunderstorm. I asked her about it before she passed this January. She remembered it vividly and I was 2 years old.

• Like 1

A few thoughts

- Yes, I'm also glad that you missed those RF-28s. The RF-82s are much better!

- The RF-82s have a slightly different "voice" than your RB-35s and RC-10. Not a deal breaker for most people, but something you may want to be aware of.

- Your RC-10 is going to have a heck of a time keeping up with your 82s. I'm surprised it's keeping up with your RB-35s so far. Maybe you don't listen as loudly as I would  ^_^

• Like 1

First off welcome! And second off rf-82ii is a great speaker!!!! Please please please if you haven't bought them yet call around to see if you can get the best pricing. I've seen them lately for 850$ for a pair. You can call acoustic sound design and sound distributors. See which will give you the best price and go for it. Also if you bundle you'll usually get a little bit of a deal. You should ask about the rc-62ii. It's the matching center and will do a much better job. Should be able to get it for 350-400$

Again welcome to the forum. Great group of guys here.

• Like 1

I was unsure as to the forum rules regarding price.

I have a friend who will get me RF-82 II's for $358.85 a piece.

A GOOD friend.

Only downside is he told me I can't get the Cherry because it's been discontinued and will have to learn to love black.

Both my RB-35's and my RC-10 are cherry.

Will using the 82'same as fronts with the RB-35'as surrounds work?

And most important of all!!!

The only wall I can use has got floor to ceiling blackout red velvet drapes.

Does this mean I'm screwed because of the 82'same dual rear ports??

Please answer soon as I'm supposed to call with my cc today.

• Like 1

A few thoughts

I dunno...

I like to crank it up!

- The RF-82s have a slightly different "voice" than your RB-35s and RC-10. Not a deal breaker for most people, but something you may want to be aware of.

- Your RC-10 is going to have a heck of a time keeping up with your 82s. I'm surprised it's keeping up with your RB-35s so far. Maybe you don't listen as loudly as I would  ^_^

A few thoughts

I dunno...

I like to crank it up!

I can get a RC-62 II FOR $326.40.

But he told me I could use the rc-10. But now I wonder? The RC10 barely fits my stand as is. I might need an entire new stand to. Getting awfully expensive for me.

Bwaaah! Want new everything!

Does anyone have familiarity with the RC 35?  So I can get a comparison between it and the 62 II

RC-35 Center Speaker

And my friend with the dealership found me a pair of 82 II's in the CHERRY I wanted. Getting them tomorrow
Best $700 I will have spent in a long time!

DESCRIPTION SPECS REVIEWS DOWNLOADS

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 56Hz-20kHz (+-)3dB SENSITIVITY: 96dB @ 2.83 volts/1 meter POWER HANDLING: 125 w max continuous (500 w peak) NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms compatible TWEETER: K-137 1" (2.54cm) Titanium dome compression driver HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 6" square 90 x 60 Tractrix Horn WOOFER: Two K-1123-OV 6.5" (16.51cm) Cerametallic cone / cast polymer frame CROSSOVER FREQUENCY: HF: 2100Hz 
LF: 300Hz ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: MDF ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass reflex via dual front-firing ports INPUT CONNECTIONS: 2 sets of binding posts speaker terminals (connected via brass strap jumpers) DIMENSIONS: 7.9" (20.1cm) x 23.5" (59.7cm) x 10.9" (27.7cm) WEIGHT: 26 lbs. (11.8kg) MOUNTING: Uptilt and Downtilt Foot FINISHES: Black Ash woodgrain vinyl BUILT FROM: 2003 BUILT UNTIL: 2006

a65763d72a2a174de42bcd4aed95fbbb_6350421http://www.klipsch.com/rc-35-center-speaker/details

• Like 1

I own a 35, and have owned a 52 II and have a 3 II as well.  I haven't had a chance to hear the 62.  I think the 35 will play nice with your 82's without too much hassle...especially if money is an issue right now.  While the 62 is designed to go with the 82's - I can't see the 35 being so much of a difference that you'd gain $350 worth of sound by going with the upgrade.

My opinion anyway.

The RC-35 should have a slightly more "forward" and midrange-heavy voice.

The RC-62 will sound smoother and more laid back, matching the RF-82s a bit better, but center channel speakers in general have a bit more midrange attack than the main left and right towers anyway.

Not worth upgrading, imo. Now that I know it's an RC-35(and not an RC-10), just leave it.

• Like 1

Sean

You love in Anchorage?

I wish I'd seen this yesterday. I just paid $716.38 for a pair of cherry rf-82 II's. As 8 type this they just passed the weigh station on the Glenn coming from the valley.

S1100 FOR A PAIR OF LA SCALAS????

I WONDER how they would work as fronts with the 82's as rears?

Or maybe just get them as "b" dedicated music speakers.

I have my la scalas set-up in stereo with a 2a3 amp but will change to home theater soon. I picked up a Bell center channel and have big Altec/Emilar speakers from the recently razed Eagle River movie theater. Send a pm to me if you would like to stop by sometime for a listen. Sean.