RF-62 ii with RC-62 II Receiver Question

Jones6000

Hello,

I currently have a 5.1 Icon series from Best Buy (Puke!) and it is powered by a Yamaha RX-V663 receiver.  I have the fronts bi amped since I'm only running the system in 5.1

It is time for a upgrade to the Reference ii line but I'm curious if my receiver is good enough to power the 62 series or should I upgrade to something else.  It puts out 95 RMS @ 8 ohms but I'm not sure if I should scale down to rf 52s or just wait so I can get a better amp.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you. 

Blake

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums.  Derrick offers solid advice.  I would keep your current receiver before "scaling down" your speakers.  You can always upgrade electronics down the road if you feel you need more than what your receiver is providing.  If your receiver has preouts, you can add a separate amp down the road.

Another suggestion I would make is to not bi-amp the front speakers.  I tried it with my Yamaha RX-V1800 and RF-83's and heard no difference.  By adding an extra channel to the mix, you are using more power from the receiver.  I know that was the case when I went from 5.1 to 7.1 on the Yammie.   At least try it both ways to see if your ears can hear a difference.  Mine did not.

IMHO Bi-amping is wasting power as the tweeters will only need about 10 watts to power them and having them on the one channel should suffice, although long bouts of loud listening will get the receiver extremely hot and have the potential for clipping.Speaking from personal experience as I had a Yamaha RX-V 473,573,575,675 powering the same speakers you have,as well as RF-25's I wound up upgrading to a higher output receiver. anything from an RX-A 10*0 series and up will give you better power and drive them easier. I am currently using an RX-A2020 on the set up and have no issues with the receiver getting hot at long bouts of listening. I am self employed so when I'm done with my day need to upload and invoice for work done and listen to music at least 6 hours a day non stop.My receiver stays cool and pushes the speakers very easily.

Thanks for the replies everyone.  I won't bi-amp the 62s since it seems like a waste. I'm going to go listen to them next week when I get home from my deployment.  Hopefully, I can find a audio store that sales them.  It looks like buying them from Klipsch will be best deal especially with the 20% off deal they have right now.  Onecall has a good bundle price but I'd end up paying tax since we're both in Washington state.

I have two more questions:

1.  Do you all think it would be bad to mix the RF-62s with a RC-52 center?  I'm just asking because I was trying to save a little cash.

2.   Do you think it is possible to get deep bass for a 10 inch sub? I have a 12 inch Klipsch sub (I think its a KSW-12).  I have the gain turned up to a little over a 1/4 and it shakes my entire house. If I can get away with the 10 inch then I'll go that route to save a little cash.  

Thanks again for all the help so far. 

You should be fine with mixing the two speakers, and I would keep the 12 and forget the 10. Keeping the 12 IMO will give better sound overall and having the gain low will only help it while it's running. I do have 10's in all my set ups, and the gain is only at half. My wife and kids complain about it being to much for them. I run 2 subs in each of my set ups and will be looking to do 4 in each setup.But I like the bass shaking my seating area as well as the walls and room. They sound nice,but if I had the choice of 10's vs 12's, I'd do the 12's over them,and 15's over both. It's always nice to have the extra pop available for future upgrades down the line.Just my opinion.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I won't bi-amp the 62s since it seems like a waste. I'm going to go listen to them next week when I get home from my deployment. Hopefully, I can find a audio store that sales them. It looks like buying them from Klipsch will be best deal especially with the 20% off deal they have right now. Onecall has a good bundle price but I'd end up paying tax since we're both in Washington state.

I have two more questions:

1. Do you all think it would be bad to mix the RF-62s with a RC-52 center? I'm just asking because I was trying to save a little cash.

2. Do you think it is possible to get deep bass for a 10 inch sub? I have a 12 inch Klipsch sub (I think its a KSW-12). I have the gain turned up to a little over a 1/4 and it shakes my entire house. If I can get away with the 10 inch then I'll go that route to save a little cash.

Thanks again for all the help so far.

ill say it again. Please listen closely. Call mike at acoustic sound design. Or Eric at sound distributors. CALL FOR THE BEST PRICE. They will do around 30% off no tax free shipping. Better deal than Klipsch gives.

Do not get the 52 center. The center is the most important. And also important to match the front three. Get the rf-62ii and rc-62ii for around 1100-1150 if I remember right.

As for subs. Step away from Klipsch. Go with an Svs, psa, hsu, rythmik. One of those internet direct brands will spank all but a couple subs that Klipsch has ever made.

Or if you can assemble you can go diy route and buy flat packs like I did. Then you can get the most bang for your buck with subwoofage.

• Like 1