Custom dual-mono SEP-- $650

tube fanatic

This is a general inquiry to find out if anyone is interested in this amp (approx. 3 wpc at 1 kHz into 8 ohms resistive) which was designed and built earlier this year at the request of one of the local guys who now owns it's twin.  Normally, I only offer amps to the local crowd; but everyone is up to date with requested units and, by decree of the "boss", I need to cut down on the number of prototype/demo units which have multiplied during the past year faster than tribbles (if you don't know what those are, you must be too young to have watched the original Star Trek series) to make room for new designs in the coming year.  I may offer some others as well, if there's interest.  Rather than go into a long discourse here about its features, please drop me a note with all of your questions (keeping in mind that even with K-horns or LSs, this amount of power will not allow you to shatter glass, crack sheetrock, or achieve a 110db spl, and cannot in any guarantee that you will like the sound which is characteristic of such a design).  I'll pick up the tab for priority mail delivery to anywhere in the continental US.

Maynard

Forgot to mention that this is an integrated amp- no preamp required!

post-40520-0-37000000-1418766336_thumb.j

post-40520-0-24920000-1418766353_thumb.j

Edited by tube fanatic

I do believe I am the only member of the Forum to have one of Tube Fanatic's creations in hand. It is therefore incumbent, nay , my pleasure, to enthusiastically urge anyone interested in trying out a low-powered SET/SEP to grab this one before it gets away. 

I do have some prior experience with low output amplifiers, and until we collaborated on the build of a SEP (I listened, he taught) I did not truthfully realize some of the wonderful advantages of these low powered gems.

Please understand the limitations he honestly describes about SET/SEP amps.  They do need high efficiency speakers aka most Klipsch, and are best in smaller rooms.  Within those parameters Maynard's work will provide full bass; cohesiveness across the bandwidth; awesome detail; and a fully engaging presentation.

I other words, Maynard's creations kick butt!

Oh and he's probably got at least 40 years experience building and repairing tube amps, so he knows just a little about how they should sound.

Edited by thebes

I'm bumping this up for one more exposure before decommissioning to use the transformers in another project, and to thank Marty for his unsolicited comments on the virtues of this type of amplifier.

A few words about power requirements.  The blessing of Klipsch speakers is that they truly need miniscule power to produce listening levels which are, in my opinion, excessive.  I have extensive experience using low power with the bigger Heritage series speakers (K-horns, LSs, Belles, and CWs) and will tell you that unless you like to listen at levels well above the low to mid 90 db range, high power is simply overkill.  This amp was prototyped and tested extensively on CWs (in addition to my RF-15s) as it's twin is used with them in a room of moderate size.  The listening position is about 10 feet from the speakers which are spaced 8+ feet apart.  A level of 92 db was effortlessly achieved at the listening position.  We could have gone much louder, but my old ears couldn't take it!  For comparison we then hooked up a little 1/3 wpc SET which I brought along, and that was able to give us a very clean 88 db at the listening spot with no hint of congestion or obvious distortion (this actually is in very close agreement to the projected power need stated in Dope from Hope vol. 16, #1).

The only commercial amp which I know of to offer three of the features of this unit (total dual mono with separate power xfmrs for each channel, variable high frequency contour adjustment, and separate volume controls for each channel) is the Decware Mini-Torii which is almost triple the cost (and, yes, I know how pretty the wood base and powder coated chassis is!  Unfortunately, cosmetics add a lot to the cost).  Like the Mini-Torii, this amp was also designed for very cool operation, even after hours of use.  

So, if you have any questions, or want additional info, let me know.  I'll hold off on taking it apart for another couple of weeks.  Wishing all a wonderful holiday!

Maynard