Getting the most out of Denon 3802 and RF3-II

NYRAGE

I just bought a Denon 3802 receiver and two Klipsch RF3-II speakers. I'm basically an audio equipment novice and I'm wondering what I need to do to in order to get the most of this system as a basic 2 channel system. Eventually I will be moving into building a surround system.

For now, should I buy an amp? Equalizer? Sub? Any settings that you like? I used Monster Cable and a couple of digital optic cables. I wasn't too crazy about using pins when connecting the speakers. There isn't a lot of room in the back of the Denon.

Thanks.

Nyrage,

I think you might get a few different opinions on what to add first to get the most out of your system. What you actually do will likely be dependant on how much budget you have. Some will argue that you will get much more out of your RF-3II's with quality amplification, which can cost quite a bit of money. If you are on a tight budget, I think I would start seriously considering adding a subwoofer first, then add your other surround speakers before looking at amplication, high-end speaker wire and/or interconnects.

-PB

My budget is a little tight after just buying a house and the receiver/speakers. I'm sure I'll wait off until next year for the rear and center speakers.

I'll end up buying a sub and amp next more than likely.

By the way, I need to replace my cd player. I've heard that the Denon 370 has great sound, but a lot of people end up having problems with it. Are there any decent cd players around $300?

Thanks

As speakers go - I would suggest getting the matching center channel first, because that is what is going to "ground the sound" for home theater. Next, If you are a music guy - I would carefully choose the sub...or do sub upgrades slowly.

Then lastly the surrounds. Alot of the DVDs still don't have squat for surround effects..so what if you miss one "corner to corner swooosh"?

BTW - If you can ever interpret the Denon manual, let us all Know...LOL...

"I'll end up buying a sub and amp next more than likely.

By the way, I need to replace my cd player. I've heard that the Denon 370 has great sound, but a lot of people end up having problems with it. Are there any decent cd players around $300?"

NYRAGE

I would suggest that you go with a sub next. With the high efficiency of the RF3IIs coupled with the Denon 3802, there will be more than enough power to run those puppies. An amplifier IMO is a "nice to have" component and since your budget, at this point, is a bit tight, your money would be better spent into a nice sub instead. The sonic differences gained by an amp would be marginal in most cases.

In regards to the 370 CD player, I have owned the 370 for about four months and have been totally pleased with its performance. I too have read problems others have experienced with the player, but as of yet have no complaints thus far. I recommend that you go through a local retailer if you decide to purchase this particular model. I picked one up for $235. You can find cheaper prices online, but the additional few dollars I spent at a B/M gives me the satisfaction that my warranty will be honored in the event I do run into problems.

------------------

"honesta mors turpi vita potior"

Nyrage,

I'm looking for CD PLayer also. Here are a few that you should check out in the $300-$500 dollar range.

www.audioreview.com

Cambridge Audio - 300SE & 500SE

Sony ES - 70es, M333es & C222es

Rotel - 951 & 961

Pioneer Elite DVD Players - 36 & 37

Don't forget to check for Some of your equipment at the quality Used Sites. www.audiogon.com is a good one.

Good Luck,

Jalen

------------------

Pioneer 906s A\V Rec.

Pioneer Cld-d580 Laser Disc Player

Parasound P\Hp - 850 Preamp

Rotel RB 976 Amp 3x150 watts for front 3 speakers.

Technics 110x Cd changer

Awia XD-DV370 (MP3) dvd

Klipsch RF-3II Fronts

Klipsch RC-3II Center

JBL N-26 Rears

Paradigm Mini's low\lvl jam sessions and bar-BQ's

Well for starters, you seem to be on a budget and say you want "the most out the system as a basic 2 channel system." The Denon has pretty good amps so that would be the last thing to add. You don't want to side step, if you upgrade the amps in the Denon, get something thats a good step up. If I wanted to get the most out of my system, here is the route I'd go.

First I'd get a quality dvd player and use a digital optical or coaxal cable to connect it to the Denon. This will use the internal DACs of the Denon and use the dvd player as a transport when playing cds. That way you don't have to spend money on an extra cd player right now, and if you hooked up a cd player with a digital cable it probably wouldn't sound much different anyway. Your money would be better spent on a good dvd player for now if you plan on using this system as a home theater setup later.(I assume thats what you meant by surround system) If you only plan on using this system as just an audio system, than a good cd player would be fine now. Just remember that if you hook it up with a digital cable of some sort, your bypassing what a real quality player has to offer. If I where to do just audio, I'd look into a quality sacd or dvd audio player.

What speakers you buy next are up to you, obviously a sub would increase the bass in a two channel setup. I personally would go with surrounds first then center then sub. The reason I'd go this order are this. The Rf3s have some decent bass. In the denon setup menu you have an option to set your speakers to small, large, and off. I may be wrong but I think if you have the center turned off it will direct the information to the main speakers. This won't work for the surrounds of course. (correct me if I'm wrong guys and gals.) You could set the bass management to send the lfe to the mains also in the lfe setting menu. Basically the surrounds are the only thing you can't mimick with the mains in surround system.

Then of course after your basic speaker system comes together, good interconnects, cables, and wires are a good thing. Followed by cd player, amps, preamps, ect. I still don't have or should say use a cd player in my H/T system. I do have a quality amp though and use my reciever as a preamp. A preamp and better dvd player are next in my system. I do have a quality cd player for the system I just dont have room for it. Its a multichanger sacd, two features that arn't present in the system right now. So its not just a cd payer.

As of right now there isnt alot you can do that I can think of. Adjust your delay and make sure the mains are set to large since you dont have a sub. Also screw around with the placement of the speakers it can make a big difference. Do your best to aim the tweeter at the listening posistion. I think the Rf3s call for like six inchs from the wall though you could go a shade closer to add a touch more bass dont go too much. If your have carpet and can, use the spikes provided with the speakers. Another little tweak is to bi-wire or even just replace the jumper on the speakers with a wire. These tweaks have minimal gains. If you want to do something like this please research it and/or ask if you need help. They arn't hard but its easy to screw up if you dont know what your doing. I wouldn't have thought so until I saw a friend(I guess) have his screwed up twice. All because he didnt take time to research what he was doing.

Hope some of this helps. One thing I might add is that a quality sub is the heart of a good home theater to me. So choose wisely. I also saw you said you used pins to connect the speakers. How long are the pins? I know that Monster Cable speakers wire that is pre-terminated alot of times have these little pins on the end and actually have a treading around the edge that is made to have a spade or banana screwed onto the end. This isnt what you have is it? Don't feel bad if so, I had to look at a time or two before I saw what was going on and the fact the screw on stuff was for sell close by.(I don't use MC btw)

If you do have your heart set on a cd player you can find some good deals on some great discontinued Sony sacd players. G.L. JR

All, thanks for the advice.

Just a couple of more details: I connected my speakers with Monster Cable MCX-IS and pins. I got the Monster Lock Connectors with the master pin. It's kind of a tight fit on the back of the Denon to get those pins connected.

My dvd player is an early model Toshiba. That's what I'm currently using for my cd player. Yikes. I'm planning on getting a cd player this week (or perhaps an upgraded dvd player although I dislike not having a multi-change player). The dvd player doesn't have an optic cable option, so it's connected by coax.

My only optic cable hook-up is between the Sat. Dish receiver and the Denon 3802.

First off relax. The Denon 3802 is a great receiver/ AMP. The Klipsch RF-3's, should really be nice through the Denon.

One word of caution....You can't adjust anything on that Fu***ng (Sorry about the language) remote, unless your in AMP mode first. Denon doesn't tell you this till say page 30-40 something in the manual. I almost through mine, literally, one night out the window as useless. (OK, I am better, and over it now.)

As a comparison, Yamaha has GREAT manuals, very clear, and easy to use. They show, tell, and give hookup pics etc etc and explain great features on the unit. This, in turn, makes you feel great about your purchase.

Denon, in my opinion, is a 2 at best on a 1 - 10 scale at making you feel comfortable with your machine and how to hook it up, and operate it too. With time it gets easier... Just remember again "AMP" settings first on the remote control LCD, to change anything.

Hope this helps.

You don't need an amp at all. If you wanted amps, you shouldnt have bought the 3802. Save your money.

A sub is a great next step, but you might get more use out of the center channel for now. A sub has been on my "to get list" for about 5 years now. I'm not saying I don't miss it, but music and movies still sound great without it. If you are really set on getting a sub next, try SVS. I've never actually heard them, but I've never heard anything bad either. Only people raving about them.

If your using a crappy old DVD player as your cd player, why not just upgrade the DVD player first. Get a Denon DVD player. A new Denon model should outperform whatever your using now. You only mention its a Toshiba, and they typically don't offer good sound quality. I know, I too owned an older model Toshiba DVD player. The newer models play MP3's too. So as an example, I'm a huge Queen fan and I was able to put all my Queen albums onto 1 disc. Now I don't need a changer.

Good Luck.

------------------

Mains: KLF 10's

Center: RC-3 (I know--doesn't match mains)

Surrounds: Quintets

Receiver: Denon 3802

DVD: Toshiba 3109 and Denon DVD-900

TV: Sony 36XBR400

MIT T2 and T3cables throughout

Yes, rather than buying the cd player, I've been looking into dvd players. My buying habits have changed lately. Being a newbie, I've got to do lots of research before buying any audio products. I'm obsessed now by looking at reviews and by looking for the best possible price from authorized dealers before I can buy anything.