SVS eardition review :)

Orange Peel

I went to Doug Drake's house tonight to hear his SVS sub, he has the 20-39. First off let me say that Doug is a great guy, very humble and listened to all my questions and showed me his Klipsch equipment and demoed it all. He showed me pics of when he went to Paul Klipsch's home and met him, and the museum tour, ah, that must have been a blast!! We spent a good 1-1.5 hours talking and listening, thanks again Doug!!

Ok, now to my review. I went to Fry's Electronics earlier today to hear the Polk PSW650 again, just to have a fresh earful of it. I felt the SVS was just as good if not better than the PSW650. I didn't get a great sense of the PSW650 due to the large room that they have it in for the demo area, but it does rock. I'm sure in a smaller room with less crap around, it would pound like hell. Doug's SVS sub kick ***! Man it was pounding the crap out of me! I WANT ONE BAD! It handled music effortless, and movies sounded better than they ever have!

We watched the depth charge of U-571 (I think that's the name of the movie). We watched the beginning of "The Fast and the Furious", the beginning of "The Mummy Returns", I can't remember the other movie, it's an animated movie with an Ice storm part, MAJOR BASS! They all sounded incredible, so loud and clear!! If my RF-3's sound half as good I will be pleased! His Klipsch speakers sounded crisp and clear, louder than anything I've heard and just plain AWESOME! He even has this real cool Dolby Digital back-lit sign in his theatre room! Smile.gif

It was a pleasure to meet him, I'm sure we will get together again, I gotta hear some more of that SVS sub Smile.gif

My plan is to get the Polk PSW650 first, test it out in my house, I get a great deal on it that's why, and if I think the SVS is a better route I will just sell the Polk.

I thought you would like to hear my SVS review, I'm jealous of you that are getting the dual SVS's, those are gonna break stuff in your house!!!! Wink.gif

------------------

devil.gifScott

Dont want to invite myself to the party but the SVS has more output below 40Hz and its quite linear to 20Hz,the Polk 650 is a great sub but it starts to loose steam below 30Hz fast(as do most compact subs).

The Polk 650 built quality is great,the amp and all around quality is really surprising.A great sub

TheEAR(s) Now theears

TheEar - Thanks for the input. The only reason I'm getting the 650 to start is because I can get such a good deal on it. If it doesn't perform to my liking, I will turn around and sell it and buy the SVS PCi 20-39, or possibly the PCi 16-46, I'm leaning toward the 16-46.

Have you heard the Polk PSW650? What are you running?

------------------

devil.gifScott

Would you bastards stop talking about SVS subs, I've got about 4 or 5 more days before my duals arrive. Stop making me think about it. LOL

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

Fronts: Klipsch RF-7's

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Rears: Klipsch RS-7's

Projector: Infocus LP350

Screen: Draper Premier 96" x 72"

TV: Toshiba 37"

DVD: Toshiba SD 3107

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 7000

CD: Sony CDP CX250

EQ: Harmon Kardon EQ-8

Sub: Velodyne V-1012-B

Spare/Back-Up: La Scalas

http://www.geocities.com/seanshometheatre/

"Have you heard the Polk PSW650? What are you running?"

Ahem yes I "heard" the Polk 650 at home,and torture tested it.Great product,performs well and sould also last a long time with no problems.

The Polk 650 pounds out some serious bass,untill it reaches 30Hz,at 20Hz it just lacks what the SVS has in spades.

Besides there is nothing bad to say about the Polk 650,its a great sub.And if you get a deal,its even better

What am I running? LOL

Lots of subs,in fact it reads like a High-End store demo room. cwm27.gif

Let me start with my lowliest and finish with the heavy hitters.

Klipsch KSW12 and 15(both used as part of my PC gaming sound system)

Klipsch RSW10(also used for PC duty,second PC sub)

Sunfire Junior(Klipsch HT system)

Sunfire Mark II(Klipsch HT system)

Sunfire Signature(Klipsch HT system)

Carver Knight Shadow two units(Klipsch HT system)

All the Sunfire and Carver subs are used with R series Klipsch speakers for HT(yes five subs)!

Velodyne HGS18(Dynaudio HT/muisc system)

Revel B15(same as above)

Aerial AS12(same as above)

These three are used in my Dynaudio(speakers) musi and HT system.All three get the signal from the Sunfire pre/pro.These three make just about any other setup I heard lacking in comparison.

And I plan to add more,SVS Ultras(at least two),and maybe a JBL Ti-K or REL Stadium sub.

Music must have the proper foundation,without foundation realism is lacking.And I am well served Smile.gif

BTW I tried dozens upon dozens of subwoofers at home.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

OP - BTW, the animated flick was Titan AE. That chapter (16) is one of the "must demo" chapters when you get a kick-heini sub.

Wanted to also mention that Scott strikes me as a great guy -- accountable, enthusiastic, sincere, and very easy going. If any of you sell him any of your stuff (a la Wes), I'm sure it will be a fine transaction.

(Plus, he's a car nut, too!)

Doug

------------------

My System

TheEAR - Thanks for the description! You have some serious subwoofer action going on. I'm suprised you can still hear Smile.gif If you say the PSW650 is a good sub, then I have faith my purchase will be worth it. And like I said, if I don't like it I will get the SVS.

Doug - Thanks for the movie title, I'll be sure to rent that when I get all my stuff hooked up.

And also thanks for the kind words Doug. It's hard to trust people these days, I have a feeling this board has a bunch of trust worthy folks!

------------------

devil.gifScott

This message has been edited by Orange Peel on 08-05-2002 at 07:06 PM