Cornwalls back from storage!

Cornwalled

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to share the joy! I just got my cornwalls back from storage today after not having them for 6 months! Oh the joy, lol. I'm in a small room right now, living with the folks until I can find a job (just graduated from college in October) and I didn't think the cornwalls could fit.

I finally got desparate and found a way to shoehorn them in. I'll take a picture when I have the time. I haven't moved the second speaker yet just because no one has been willing to help me move it, LOL. Hopefully tomorrow. Even just listening to one speaker in mono, I like what I hear.

What are your thoughts on my system? Only thing recent is the Marantz CC3000 CD player. Everything else is 10-15 yrs old or more. The pioneer turntable is spinning a little slow for whatever reason, belt's not loose though.cwm39.gif

I've been using the Yamaha amp for a quite a while -it's about 15 years old, almost as much as me- (I'm almost 21). The amp was my father's. It has one of those rotary knobs to switch inputs, and the contacts have totally gone bad, so I'm using a Soundcraftsmen preamp, and running it straight into the amp inputs, bypassing the Yamaha's preamp completely. It has a graphic EQ built in, but I don't need to use it for this setup, so I just defeat it. Any thoughts on this preamp? It was given to me so I can't complain, has a wooden case. I'll eventually try to get some pictures on here, maybe my dad will take some with his digital camera.

While I'm here, Wes, what do you think of the Ah Tjoeb cd player? Anyone else have any experience with them? Just curious.

Thanks alot,

Jon

------------------

markvi82@hotmail.com

1981 Cornwall I's

Yamaha DSP-A1000 integrated amp

Soundcraftsmen PE2217 preamp equalizer

Marantz CD Player

Pioneer turntable with Audio Technica cartridge

Denon cassette deck

Cornwalled,

6 Month's in storage!....man, that can create some serious Klipsch withdrawal. Hope you had other Klipsch to listen to.

I'm pleased with the Ah! Tjoeb99 CD, especially given its price vs. performance considerations. Presntly using it with Set Amps, recently acquired K-Horns and Cary Preamp.

My seller had rolled in Amperex 7308's from Upscale, but provided the original Phillips JAN 6922's. I rolled in 6DJ8 RCA's made by Amperex Holland. New 60's NOS in Original Box's from Brent Jesse. This is the same tube as the famous Bugle Boy and made in the same Holland factory. Saved! $20.00 by going with the RCA Branded Tubes. To my ears, the RCA 6DJ8's(Bugle Boys) afford a more detailed openness or spaciousness to the music. There has been much talk about the merits of the Rega Planet, as well as the latest Ah! Tjoeb offering. Thinks it a model 4000?

If asked, how does it all sound? Hard to put into intelligable words, because there's more going on than just good sound. More like a completely involved experience with the music and its performers. One really has to experienced it for themselves!

You may want create a posting in the 2 Channel area to get more feedback from others.

Know you're enjoying those reinstalled Corns!

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 08-04-2002 at 11:55 AM

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Figured I'd post an update now that I've had plenty of time to listen to them again.

Overall I'm quite happy with the sound, however I've noticed that I'm not able to attain as nice of an image as I could when they were in my apartment in Florida, however this is a smaller room, so they are closer together. I imagine that is the cause.

My Marantz CC3000 CD player doesn't turn on anymore (?) so it's out for warranty repair, and I've had to sub in the only other cd player I have, a JVC (brought it out of the closet..lol) I know, it's not too hot at all, but it's all I have until the Marantz gets fixed.

I played Ascent and Also Sprach Zarathrustra (Time Warp CD, Telarc) and wow, these speakers hold nothing back, made me jump! Little various electronic sounds in Ascent, followed by a large slam out of nowhere really makes you shake. The brass on ASZ was incredible, really inmpacting.

One thing I like about the smaller room I'm in now is they seem to have better bass, definetly more impacting, and yet they don't sound muddy like many do in this room. It's a very well damped room, you walk in and it sounds almost like you're wrapped in a pillow compared to the rest of the house. Has a bed, carpeting, record rack, and bookshelves on the walls, so most reflections are absorbed. I'll try to get a picture one of these days so you can see what I mean.

I'd love to hear any comments you guys have (looking for ideas/opinions)

Thanks alot,

Jon

This message has been edited by Cornwalled on 09-06-2002 at 11:29 PM

Soundcraftsman(now defunct) was a small company that produced excellent products. In the early 1970's one had but two choices for high-quality equalizer units utilizing slide controls for home stereo systems...SAE or Soundcraftsman...both on a par in quality with each other, but Soundcraftsman being much less expensive!! I have a couple of Soundcrafgtsman 20-12A equalizers from that era and they still work just fine!!

------------------

I can now receive private messages

Soundcraftsman(now defunct) was a small company that produced excellent products. In the early 1970's one had but two choices for high-quality equalizer units utilizing slide controls for home stereo systems...SAE or Soundcraftsman...both on a par in quality with each other, but Soundcraftsman being much less expensive!! I have a couple of Soundcraftsman 20-12A equalizers from that era and they still work just fine!!

------------------

I can now receive private messages

You're lucky! Cornwalls at 21. I didn't discover them until my 30's. Like all good Klipsch they are extremely revealing of upstream components. As time & budget permit, upgrade. If you listem to a lot of vinyl, I'd start with the turntable, something decent but budget such as Music Hall. ( I picked up a Sonographe SG-3 as a trade-in at a local "high-end" audio dealer for a reasonable price.) If records are not a high priority, then I'd change the amp. Instead of the usual chain store stuff, I'd suggest Adcom, NAD, Rotel and the like. They'll serve you much longer. Again, bargains can be had second-hand from dealers, auctions, & the internet. Good luck, its a great adventure!