wtb integrated preamplifier

harmony08

Passive speakers and a Klipsch sw 8 sub for nice computer sound.... streaming music, etc    I've talked with Dave at Speaker Works here in Tulsa. These two models are what he recomended.  I like the older vintage stuff that is in good shape.  I don't want to get an A/V receiver.  I just need something nice with  speaker jacks and an input for the computer sound. (Klipsch recommends that the SW 8 be connected with speaker jacks when using bookshelf speakers.)  This amp will be highly visible on a cabinet by the computer.  So, I am really having a good time doing the Craigslist, EBAY..and checking with friends in the Klipsch garage.   I am hoping someone will pull up a La Z Boy chair in my garage  and tell me they've got on an old integrated amp they've had for years sitting around....they just didn't know what they were going to do with it.....I have a budget of $175.

btw  - I'm not in a rush on things. I am currently using a Harman Kardon 3485 that belongs to my daughter.

Edited by harmony08

Looking for an integrated preamplifier  Marantz 1060 or a Kenwood 7100 AK...or something similar let me know. I've got a budget of $175.

Harmony08

I like the Sansui AU amps. There are several AU 717 and AU 517 that are close to what you are hoping to spend.

The AU XX00 (I have the 7700) and AUX900 (I have an AU3900 want an AU7900) have nice sound. The X900 are reported to have a nicer/better sound.    

You might look for HK, Luxman, Yamaha or other amps. There are several that might have the sound that you like. Something I forget to account for is how long has it been since it's been refreshed...EX: new caps, adjusted and cleaned. < That will have a HUGE influence in the sound.  

KA7100 vs the 1060 and other recommendations 

Thanks guys for coming into my garage. I know my La Z Boy needs some  more duct tape, but hey...let's talk audio......Not only am I enjoying my quest, I am learning a great deal about audio equipment.  I've not thought about Sansui....  Nothing like finding something great with a nice price off of EBAY or Craigslist and then find you need to spend big bucks to get it serviced. YIKES!  I've got an audio tech guy here in Tulsa  who is really good.  The Marantz and the Kenwood I know he can service.

Kenwood 7100 K A  it is.   Even though I will be streaming music through my computer, the top of the amplifier looks "bare".  Maybe put a tuner on top for a "finished" look"?   Do kids these days even know what a tuner is?   Anyway, I was surprised how many used tuners there are and for great prices ,,,,,if a person would even use it.  Maybe I'll find a case for it....or build one .  I've certainly learned a great deal about integrated preamplifiers. Thanks again for the responses.

Harmony08