wire length?

tripod

When I set up my system a couple of years ago I used several extra feet for each run of speaker wire. I figured that would allow me some flexibility in speaker placement in the future. Each run has no more than 5 extra feet of wire. My question is this. How significant of an effect does that extra length have on perceptible performance? It is 16 gauge Monster wire.

What is the total length of the wire?

------------------

Transport: CEC TL-2X

DAC: Audiomat Maestro

Pre-amp: Wyetech Jade

Amps: Jeff Korneff 45

Interconects: Analysis Plus Solo Monocrystal

Speaker cable: Analysis Plus Solo Monocrystal

Power cords: CPCC Top Gun and Model 11

Line conditioner: CPCC Super Power Block

Equip Stand: Grand Prix Audio Monaco

Belle Klipsch, K-horns

You're OK on the front, but I'd probably use at least a 12 ga for the 20-25' runs, but you won't have any problems with the 16 ga. A lot would depend on whether the sound you're getting from the surrounds is to your liking.

------------------

Transport: CEC TL-2X

DAC: Audiomat Maestro

Pre-amp: Wyetech Jade

Amps: Jeff Korneff 45

Interconects: Analysis Plus Solo Monocrystal

Speaker cable: Analysis Plus Solo Monocrystal

Power cords: CPCC Top Gun and Model 11

Line conditioner: CPCC Super Power Block

Equip Stand: Grand Prix Audio Monaco

Belle Klipsch, K-horns

quote:

Originally posted by dougdrake:

...and also not coiled (or is that what serpentine means?
Smile.gif
)

Doug

Hey Doug,

Forgot you folks out West like the coiled term, as you're more familar that one due to the Diamond Back's striking pose. Lay it Back and forth..back and forth...gently now!Biggrin.gif

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 08-05-2002 at 01:58 PM

My current storage technique would probably send you guys into convulsions. A nervous tic at the very least. All of the excess is located behind my entertainment system and highly resembles Medusa's head (to stick with the reptilian theme). It's a big tangled mess. Is there really a problem with that?

Tripod - I think (and I believe SS would agree) that, as long as it is not a tightly wadded or knotted mess, but more of a flowing, resilient mess; the Medusa-method will be fine, as long as power cords are not a part of the mess.

Mine approaches Medusa-like qualities the closer I get to the amp...cwm3.gif

Doug

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by dougdrake on 08-06-2002 at 02:28 AM

Yep, do agree with Doug. Also recommended to avoid having interconnects & wires running parallel with power cords. That is very difficult to do for most of our HT set-ups, given the number of speakers, DVD/CD players and external amps that require connections of some sort.

Good luck with your cable management efforts.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 08-05-2002 at 09:42 PM

Ah, but remember, fair cluless, that in some boy's games piling on gets a penalty! Try to keep your power cords away from speaker wire... and way away from interconnects! -HornED

PS: It seems I caught a virus in my primary PC (Dell 8100, P4, Win2k Pro, 512MB mem, 60GB hard disk) which ate my Norton anti-virus and significant holes in my OS. All the hardware checks out okay... but I get a "Stop error" on boot up. Through a little "jiggery-pokery" I can get to a DOS prompt.

Until I attempted to replace the Win2k with a fresh copy, at least I could access the drives. I would like to be able to save data to a CD... I have many GB's of photos I would not like to lose. Any suggestions? The Dell tech suggestion was bite the hollow-point and reformat!

For the moment, I can only be reached on email at my backup location: eddennis@rcn.com

Piling - Luckily us girls don't have such rules.

Cratered Computer -

Software Approach - Go buy some "Disk Doctor" software that runs off media. Might work/might not.

Hardware Approach - Go buy a cheap hard drive. Make it your primary drive, and make your old drive your secondary. Load your O/S, virus detect stuff, and CD-burner software onto the new drive, then save the stuff from the bad drive to CD. Might work/might not.

Combination of both might/might not work also.

That's my complete list of suggestions.

Ooops I left out my favorite.

Cry - won't work.

cwm14.gif

This message has been edited by cluless on 08-06-2002 at 03:01 PM

Doug LOL -

Were you hovering outside my office today when this discussion came up? And I am serious

Me - I can't belive that this guy came up and asked me ......

My Buddy - Don't you know that you are supposed to answer with another question .....

Me - **** I forgot that rule...what do I do now...

My Buddy - Tell him ....it depends...

(No one jump my stuff here...this was not a customer service deal here - It was a Nimrod type thing)

HornEd,

Are you certain it was a virus? If so, do you know which one? For most virus cleaning things where you don't know what virus it is, the recommendation is to reformat. Try going into safe mode and see if you can determine what virus it is by scanning with a virus scanner. I have not sued Win2K while doing this, but I have done 98. In 98, you cannot use drives in safe mode, which sucks a WHOLE LOT, in case you wondered. You can't use any hardware, come to think of it... try booting with safe mode and harware support. Win2K might have something like that. Then reload your virus scanner if you are able to and scan. Delete anything that appears to be a virus as detected by it. You could buy another HDd like clu said, but if the other drive has an error, I would NOT hook both up at once. Chances are, the virus can probably spread itself, though I could be wrong.

------------------

SoundWise / ProMedia Tech Support / 1-888-554-5665s>