9 speakers is that to many if a avr is 9.2 and what about subs?

sully141

:) I knew everyone would get all riled up haha

If I'm talking to someone I just say I have 7.1

Nine out of ten people I talk to have no clue what 7.4 would even be. If they come to a demo I say I have 7.1. They listen, jaw hits the ground, then if they ask I lift the screen and see the madness behind it. If they don't ask I don't tell them, cause they prolly aren't that interested in knowing anyways. So like I said I know what you guys are trying to convey I just laugh when I see it cause I know lots of guys who would out 7.8, 7.10, man I even got a buddy who would out 9.16.2 already. :)

Isn't this the truth most people are t interested or wouldn't even remotely be able to comprehend the time and dedication it takes to achieve the true jaw on the floor experience. I'm not talking about someone with a surround sound system they slapped thogether either I mean true jaw on the ground immersion takes a lot of learning and testing and then application to get there. Anyone can put together a 5.1 or 7.4 etc system but to tie it together just rift it takes PPP on this forum or other forums to get there. Most ppl don't care what's behind our big screens so I don't talk to them about it either.
  • Like 1

I have another question, how high so the rs, and rb need to be off the ground. I see some people have them on 36 inch stands others have them 2 feet above their head or almost to the ceiling. Is there a position and height they should be? Thanks for the answers also.

There are several charts like this if you google it.  In general surrounds go slightly behind and above the listener.  If you have a surround mounted high on the wall it should be tilted down towards the listener's ears.

4901d1194556580-7-1-speaker-layout-speak

surround-speaker-placement-03.jpg

Edited by wvu80