Future Sound of London

Gossamer

Aphex Twin

DJ Spooky

Paul Van Dyk

DJ Culture

Mark Lewis

Just wondering?

I have over 1000 posts, and this is my first time in this area of the forum! Eek.gif

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

Well kenratboy I can tell you I've tried to turn peeps on to a lot of electronic music and from what I remember there was only one guy who took my advice on Lustmord and purchased a few discs(can't recall his name though). I think Endtroducing is one of the best pieces of music ever. Plastikman-Consumed is a helluva sub workout. FSOL-Lifeforms is a classic. I like Autechre's older stuff(pre-glitch) as well as most everything on Warp. Other good stuff: Global Communication-76:14. Coil-Time Machine. Anything by Steve Roach or Michael Stearns. Anything by Kruder & Dorfmeister. Pete Namlook. Mixmaster Morris. Scratch Perverts. Higher Intelligence Agency. Coldcut. Lustmord. I'm about to crash but PLEASE let's continue. See how popular my Kruder & Dorfmeister post was huh? Geez it's all about Dinosaur rock & Diana Krall 95% of the time here but we can start our own thang.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

This message has been edited by synthfreek on 08-06-2002 at 03:41 AM

I guess that I'm too old - synth/DJ stuff in general isn't my bag (but DJ Logic has gotten my attention on a couple of occasions). Since you guys seem into this stuff, I thought I would give you a link or two you might like, from a couple of artists that have caught my ear.

First, DJ Harry: The String Cheese Incident Remix Project. MP3 is at the bottom of the page. Link

Second, Sound Tribe Sector 9: Link

I don't know if you'll like it or not, but I thought I would share the info!

Oh, and dinosaur rock? I resemble that remarkSmile.gif

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 08-06-2002 at 09:57 AM

Yeah, us electronic bunch are a rare breed, but growing (actually, really.)

DJ Shadow is da $hit! We almosty moved to Davis, CA (where he lives, nice place) and I would have freaked out if I know I lived in the same small town as DJ Shadow. I think the guy is awsome for not moving closer to SF, as he realizes life for him is way better in Davis. As of now, I only have Preemptive strike (Hindsight is AWSOME, especially the first minuite. Bump bump click bump click bump bump click...) so Entroducing is the next one I should get?

I will e-mail you a list of the CD's I have, tell me if I am missing anything essential. I like my music a little more "dark" and errie, so just keep that in mind, but it's obviously not manadtory.

I LOVED The Crystal Method, Vegas is what got me started on techno, but they moved to LA and became a **** band... Oh well, I have plenty of other stuff in collection.

Also, I have listened to this stuff on everything from a boombox to a pair of B&W 801's. Maybe (except for Ae...) the recording quality isn't 100%, but the stuff ONLY starts to sound good with a big subwoofer (see my sig Smile.gif )

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

It's a shame that age has something to do with liking an entire genre of music. I'm NOT a teenager and I don't think that has anything to do with whether music is good or not. I think the only reason people don't like electronic music is because they're only exposed to the "techno" music played on tv commercials. I beg you all...email me your address and I will make you a cd of some great music. I started a topic a long time ago asking audiophiles why they neglect to include anything electronic in their demo discs. I didn't get much response. What about stuff like Tangerine Dream, Jean Michel Jarre & Kraftwerk? They've been making synth/DJ stuff for over 30 years. We can go further back with guys like John Cage, Stockhausen & Oscar Sala who have been using electronic instruments for 30 years before that. JUST EMAIL ME YOUR ADDRESS IF YOU WANT A FREE CD! I'm starting to rant.

kenratboy-After looking at your list I'd suggest the following:

DJ Shadow-Endtroducing---Essential! Entire album made from snippets of existing tunes all thrown into a blender. Hard to believe they didn't all go together to begin with. He made this whole album with records, a sampler & a turntable. Filled with the passion for music.

Future Sound Of London-Lifeforms---2cd set of some of the most alien sounds put to wax. Trippy to say the least.

The Orb-UFOrb---One of my very favorites. Alex Patterson(the Orb) used to work for Brian Eno's EG label back in the 80's. I credit him with the present resurgence of ambient music. IF YOU LIKE PINK FLOYD YOU WILL LIKE THIS CD. Great basslines from Jah Wobble. Great guitar from Steve Hillage(used to be in the 70's group GONG). UFO themed psychedelic space music.

Global Communication-76:14---I've probably listened to this album more than any other ever. Timeless.

Juno Reactor-Shango/Bible of Dreams---REALLY good goa trance. For some reason appeals to people into industrial or metal. Hard driving & ethnic influenced.

Pete Namlook-Air I & II---If you can find this 2cd set at a used cd store(it's out of print) just trust me and buy it.

Union Jack-There Will be no Armageddon

Cabaret Voltaire-The Conversation---Richard H. Kirk has been producing music for 30 years now and it shows. This 2cd set is UNREAL. The 2nd cd is basically an hour long track that is the trippiest thing I've ever heard. Just a montage of disembodied voices with crazy phasing & delay effects that will hypnotize you. About 10 minutes in the bassline and beats come in and that's all she wrote. Spooky stuff.

Coil-Stolen and Contaminated Songs/Hellraiser Themes---Very dark stuff especially the Hellraiser Themes. Clive Barker originally asked Coil to do the soundtrack but it literally made test audiences uneasy and scared so he switched out to some more conventional symphonic garbage.

Lustmord-Stalker/Metavoid/Place Where the Black Stars Hang---The darkest, most evil & sinister stuff of all time. The absolute best subwoofer workout EVER. Brian Williams(aka Lustmord) is a freak. He records faultlines under the earth's surface. Inside of catacombs and caverns. Volcanic eruptions. This stuff goes down to like 5hz! Great for great headphones.

I'll add to this every few days.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

This message has been edited by synthfreek on 08-06-2002 at 11:07 PM

Well:

-The DJ Shadow is a done deal, maybe a trip to Tower Records in in order tomarrow. Also, he lives three hours from me, I should visit him... Smile.gif

-The FSOL CD is also a done deal, I will have to Amazon that one. You saw the ones I have, they are like Ae bofore the wierdness+ set in.

-Global Communication, thats the shite yo! Sounds good. I LOVE DARK AND SPOOKY MUSIC, like post-apocoliptic would stuff.

-I need Theorem, too perfect for me, I have a feeling, if the Amazon samples are true, that will be a driving disc for me.

I will have to download some test samples first, If I like what I hear, I will add a couple $$$ to their royalty check.

Thanks!!!

My friend and I are the only people either of us know that like electronic stuff. NO MORE guitar thrashing!!! You gotta have good techno when driving into LA at 3 AM!!!

------------------

"It's a shame that age has something to do with liking an entire genre of music. I'm NOT a teenager and I don't think that has anything to do with whether music is good or not."

I guess it's a product of what I grew up listening to - and likes and dislikes in music as I was growing up. I had Beatles, Elvis, and many other "Woodstock era artists" records at age 3 - so I was weened on that. I also spun numerous "classic rock" artists (The Who, Led Zeppelin, Kiss, Montrose). I had a period of country music exposure in high school too - I had a buddy in the radio biz, so I saw free shows like the Oak Ridge Boys, Alabama and the Statler Brothers (as well as dozens of the usual rock acts). I developed an extreme dislike for "Top 40" format stuff, especially in the disco era - I proudly owned one of those "Disco Sucks" shirts (the one with the cute little green guy).

Before I get flamed, allow me this:

My tastes took a left hand turn when I saw my first Grateful Dead concert. Seeing them completely eliminated my habit of stereotyping music - I learned from that experience to leave the prejudices at the door (not only in terms of music, but the world in general). I try to give any artist a chance to impress me. I'll try anything once.

I think that it's important to expose yourself to as much music as you can. Doing so will open musical doors you never thought you would see. My tastes have changed greatly over time - I find lots of new music I like. I've tried a bit of electronic stuff - and am trying to acquire the taste. The links I posted above are a few "crossover" artists that I've been "sampling" (hehe) lately. I posted those because you are the "experts". These acts could be rookies in your eyes (and they probably are) but these are acts that I'm trying out now. It's my step into electronica. I have plans to see STS9 in October. I want to try them out in a live setting, where (I'm told) they excel.

I have friends who like the electronic genre, so I get spoon-fed a little at a time. I guess that old habits and dislikes do die hard though - I bought all the early Queen vinyl in the 70's, which were inscribed "no synthesizers".

Above two people:

GREAT!!! Enjoy!

dndphishin:

I know what you mean! For me, I am thouroghly disgusted by most all (99%+, no exaduration) new pop music. It is either by artists who can sing/play or it is just a guitar thrash. When I am all grown up, and my kids ask me what music was like when I was growing up, I won't be able to talk about what the norm was like, as what I listen to is not the norm. But, maybe I will be proud to say that I was one of the first to get into electronica. There is the occasional exception, 'In the End" by Linkin Park has been a big hit for me, I just like the sound.

Anyway, I like electronic music because I LOVE the fact that many of the artists are really out to try and do somthing different, and strive to make somthing that sounds good. I ONLY listen to music I like, not to fit in to a group or be different.

------------------

I have always enjoyed listening to electronica. I'll admit that, like dndphisin, I grew up with the Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Styx, Rush, Queen, The Cars, etc and I still listen to Rush and Styx and so forth.

However, I have always been fascinated with synthesizers and just thought how cool they sounded.

A few years back, I scored myself a Yamaha synthesizer, hooked it up to an old 486/DX2-66 based PC and attempted to compose my own music using Cakewalk Pro. Unfortunatly, that stupid POS computer's harddrive crashed and I lost alot of my work (I knew I should have backed it up before moving it!). I have not done anything recently, but I still have the synthesizer. Maybe I'll dig it back out and scrape together another PC out of spare parts (you really don't need that powerful of a PC), see if I can score a newer version of Cakewalk PRO and attempt composing music again. I found it is alot like the programming I do at work and it is pretty fun.

As for the artists Kenratboy listed at the beginning of the thread, I have heard some of Gossamer's tracks that I downloaded off of mp3.com. I guess I'll have to send an e-mail to synthfreek and see what his free CD contains. It'll be fun to check out some more electronica that I have yet to discover. Have any of you heard of Komputer? Also, Galbatron, which I found on mp3.com has some really cool symphonic electronica, which is some of my favorite. That is some pretty interesting stuff there. Also does anybody have any good recommendations of which artists to listen to that produces symphonic electronica?

Lastly, like a number of folks here, I have also grown a strong distaste for the current top 40 banal crap that seems to be currently being shoved down our collective throats by the big commercial radio stations and the record industry. No wonder I go to sites like mp3.com and/or listen to the music choice channels that come with my DirecTV service as well as trying some of those streaming internet radio stations. All the more reason why I am seriously considering getting XM radio installed in my car.

Thanks - Kenratboy and Synthfreek, you are not the only two on here that really like to listen to electronica Smile.gif

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

Have you tried FruityLoops 3.x?

It is simple loop-based music making software. Very nice.

Yeah, I think we can all agree that the Top 40 (why not 50???) stuff is getting OLD very QUICK and there is better stuff.

I mean, most people in my age range (high school) that are not popularity freaks (by NO means, losers) listen to either the old stuff (60's and 70's) or new stuff like the electronic music. There is a large population that doesn't give a flying &&&& about the "pop" stuff out their.

I mean, some of the DJ Shadow stuff I am listenign to is BEGGING me to get in my car and drive to San Francisco (only 4-5 hours)... There is some emotion in the music, not just a distorted guitar and other assorted noise.

------------------

I have received emails requesting cds from Mike, cluless & Steven. Give me a week or so to compile everything and figure out how to fill 80 minutes with the most varied & high quality stuff I can think of.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Synthfreek - hey thanks for the generous offer Smile.gif

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

Yo yo yo!

I just bought the DJ Shadow CD at Tower. Also, I ordered Theorem - Ion, Stalker - Lustmore, and DE9: Closer to the Edit - Richie Hawtin.

Thanks for the help.

I also bought a 1:18 scale Porsche Carrera 4S in silver Smile.gif

------------------

• 2 weeks later...

To all I've promised cds to. I have made 3 cds already for each of you plus have a fourth and final one in is in the works. I'll have to rerecord the third one I made because 2 tracks skip once for some reason. I'm using new cd burning software and I think that gave me trouble. The other 2 cds are straight-up copies of cds and there aren't any problems with those but the third one has tracks pulled from many different sources and that's the one that skipped. Anyway a friend of mind just gave me access to his much better burning software so everything should be finished in just a few days. Don't worry about shipping guys. I just ask for a bit of patience because I'm a very very busy store manager who doesn't get to hang in my music room nearly enough.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)