Typ A network question

dubai2000

Chris, That network looks like hell. Please destroy it before someone goes blind from looking at it. :)

I asked John Warren to model this mod, and to create some plots for me using a microphone. Btw, this is still first order electrical. Seriously, all we are doing here is adding some series resistance and accelerating the roll-off a bit. The effect on phase is minimal. It's simple and effective - you are the first that I'm aware of to complain about it. Still, you know your stuff, so I certainly don't want to give the impression that I'm discounting your opinion.

• Like 1

Guys, this is great information - I am very thrilled and much obliged for all your support :emotion-21: :emotion-21: :emotion-21: . The Altecs are in the mail.....first I'll try them on the ALKs and when time permits and all the parts for the A-network will have arrived, the fun is going to start.... :D.

Wolfram

• Like 1

you are the first that I'm aware of to complain about it.

No complaints,  for my experiment did show if I feed a  6,000cps tone into the squaker it is -3dB down with the coil addition - tapering down to no change at 3,000cps.  So it works just as expected.  But to me  it was like a sock in a trumpet,  stopping the open feeling at my ear.

I am 68 years of age and don't blast the dBs to often,  usually 65-70dB in the room,  Khorns  +  LaScala up front,  Belles for the rear.  So perhaps that coil would be of help for the over 110dB listener. 

As far as my 40 year crossovers before I upgraded them -  they really looked sad.  :)

AA1_zpsdad922b8.jpg

It has been my understanding that this type of capacitor does not age nearly as horribly as the 'newer' motor start caps that are what we typically see. My 1972's have similar caps and I ( and a few dozen of you) could barely tell the difference when I put in a new BEC A/AA convertible type. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing wrong with the industrial look, I think they look great. Those C-core units look awesome - no wax though, what a shame. :)

I don't know what to think about those capacitors though, they look really, really old. You really should try the Jupiters or the Jensens.

The stacked caps are NOS Russian PIOs - they look a bit 'old' as they had been used in another project where they'd been glued to a crossover board - hence they lost some of their paint when being removed.

Anyway, that's what I had at hand and I shall certainly try some other caps too. The 2.2uF is a Siemens MKL - a cap I like quite a bit. Actually a cap I have discovered by chance (well, a friend of mine did) are Cornell Dubilier (CDE) WPP - not expensive and without any hyped name - but they are pretty "inaudible" once they have been burnt in (actually the first cap I have ever noticed this phenomenon) - first they are almost too "warm", next they become slightly "sharp-sounding" and then one day: bingo - just clear/neutral in the best sense of the word. And having used them in my Tannoys (which can get slightly nasty) that seem promising for the good ol' horns.

I listend for a while today: first only with the 13uF, but that was somehow wrong (using the 8ohm Altec driver) - now with 23uF I have come away pretty impressed.

Wolfram