the ol tubes vs SS story

AndyKubicki

Andy,

I might not have been clear, when listening to music on my main HT system it is all 2-channel listening. There just has not been anything with multi-channel music that has peaked my interest. I do have a number of concert DVD's and to my ear they all sound better when listening to the 2-channel sound track as opposed to the multi-channel track.

I have no idea how multi-track DVD compares to multi-track Audio formats?

Doug C

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelly, my memory tends to possibly support what you say about speaker placement. When I first bought them, I had them in a basement with a closer placement...possibly 15', not sure, it was a long time ago. I remember the staging was awesome. That was with older electronics, a Crown amp & preamp. It was also with vinyl as source, so I don't know how much of a role each (speaker placement and vinyl source) plays, but I suspect that maybe a better source would improve that. Unfortunately, until I move, I'm stuck with this placement.

BTW, that EICO HF-81 you have looks great! Bring it over and lets play with it!

Unless this Sony starts really sounding awesome, I will return it. Can't get too much for the Pioneer, there are a few on Ebay for around $70...son has his eyes on it too. I'm getting the hots for a Marantz with SACD and DVD-A capabilities...gotta call for pricing and demo, but i fear price might postpone buying ability.

Tony, are you getting any hiss from the 7T?

Doug, you answered something else for me. I have some concert DVDs and found that when I played one of them on a friend's 5 channel system which is, dare I say the name here...Bose. Sounded MUCH better in 2 channel. But in general, I think i find video DVDs to be even brighter than CDs. I have:

Yes-Live from House of Blues **recording is good, though there is too much audience noise coming into mikes

EL&P-Live at the Royal Albert Hall **worse recording, miked, beginnings of vocals and solos not always caught loud enough from beginning to be turned up while in progress

King Crimson-deja Vroom **best recording of all these, taken off the digital board. Very minimal audience noise, only heard AFTER a tune. This was a concert in Japan, and I suspect that the Japanese are a better audience in terms of being better listeners. There are a couple of minor defects, like an audio drop out (of very short duration, like maybe a spliced tape not well done?) during a drum solo and the vocals are bright...but that could be my system.

------------------

Andy

78 Khorns (20' apart!)

Audire Difet 3 Preamp

Adcom GFA 535 II

NAD 4130 Tuner

Marantz CD 63SE

Pioneer DV 434s>c>

No hiss, hum or scratching from my 7T I tell you in all honesty is was the best purchase I have ever made (besides my K-horns of course!). I had been saving for a 7C but after hearing this unit in my system I forgot that quickly. As they say, highly recommended. I will tell you I had old caps and some of the resistors (the ones in the signal path) replaced. regards, tony