Awesome dual-mono parallel SET amp

tube fanatic

Some creative juggling (long story :) ) allows me to offer this amp in case anyone wants to experience why SET users would "rather fight than switch" (I first encountered the commercial from which that quote originated in the early 60s- guess I'm dating myself!).  I described it in detail last June.  If interested, drop me a PM and we can discuss it in more detail.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/150576-just-finished-this-morning-6bx7-parallel-set-amp/?hl=6bx7

Maynard

Edited by tube fanatic

I've been scrounging up some tubes for the Parallel SET using 6AQ5 that you posted in the past. Haven't found any 6SF5, or 6SC7...but I'm not done digging yet.

I know I have 6SJ7, but I really don't need much as far as voltage drive. I'll just be going straight from the CD player to the amp.

The circuit will be lashed up on a breadboard to get started, I'll use the trusty Heathkit power supply. I'll use the James 6123HS output transformers, and see how it goes...like you mention, if the exceeded current saturates the OPTs, I'll hear it. If all works well, they are good sized 20 watt xformers, and should have excellent bass.

I know I have a good handful of 6AV6 lying about...and have shields for seven pin miniature tubes.

I'll more than likely have a couple questions as I go...but I'll give it a shot.

Mike, no problem!  The 6SJ7 would work very well as the driver.  I'd use approx. 100k for the plate resistor, approx. 390k for the screen (bypassed appropriately), approx. 560 ohms for the cathode (with around 220 uf for bypass), and 270k for the grid resistor of the 6005s.  A coupling cap of around .27 uf would be good.  It should provide about 10V rms with only 100 mv of drive with less than 1% distortion.  Drop a note any time if you need more info.

Maynard 

Bump for Maynard.

I managed to scrounge up two Tungsol GT 6SJ7, that test strong enough to do the job. I also found a pair of GE metal 6SJ7s, that test fine as well.

Dunno when I'll get started. I'm trying to score a pair of Adire audio HE12.1 coaxials with home built tower cabinets, tuned to 30Hz. C'mon income tax refund!