Emotiva help, questions

SonicSeeker

My brother in law is diving into the home audio/theater realm, (time for an upgrade from the soundbar) in a big way and he asked my oppinion on something I have no first hand knowledge about. I have seen many here use there products so I thought I would get some feedback from our collective knowlege base here. He is looking at the XMC-1 and the XPR-5 and the XPS-1, Go BIG or go home. Anyone have these? To save time this question is only about these products not his room or speakers ect. I will be covering that area with him. Thanks.

Edited by Henry Browning 63

I have owned several Emo products and still use a first generation XPA 5 and a couple of Mini X amps. I personally would not go with their processors seems to be above average in bugs and issues with HDMI handshakes, my opinion.

and he should immediately grab this Oppo BlueRay player https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/155345-oppo-bdp-95-parasound-hca-1205a-crown-cts-600-and-ysp-800/#entry1837420

My Oppo 105D is shown in the upper left of the posted photo, matches nicely and the -95 (I had previously looks the same)

Edited by USNRET

Why did you get the 105, I have the 95, oh and I already did let him know about that thanks.

Why not? No, I never updated the software so the 95 still had the capability to play ISO files which I don't do so when someone wanted to pay for that option I sold it and got the -105D. I would not get the $100 "D" option again as I don't have acreage of screen size to take advantage of it.

What version hdmi does your 8801 have I cant seem to find it on the website.

• HDMI version 1.4a with support for 3D video, Audio Return Channel, Deep Color, x.v.Color, auto lip-sync, and HDMI-CEC

from the Crutchfield web site: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Cye0n3X4VAg/p_642AV8801/Marantz-AV8801.html

the new AV 7702 is the same price and here is some discussion on that: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1708666-marantz-av8801-vs-7702-a.html

Edited by USNRET

I am a huge Emotiva fan and from what I have seen the processors in the past have had glitches and some handshake issues. To the best of my knowledge I have not read anything negative from the XMC-1, although the Dirac is new and people are still trying to figure it out. Why would your brother be looking at two different pres? The XSP-1 is a balanced two channel pre and the XMC-1 is a 7.2 channel pre. Would you need both?....or were you considering only one or the other.

As far as the amp goes, I think it is a great choice. I own almost a dozen of their amps and have really enjoyed the results.

Edited by teaman

I am a huge Emotiva fan and from what I have seen the processors in the past have had glitches and some handshake issues. To the best of my knowledge I have not read anything negative from the XMC-1, although the Dirac is new and people are still trying to figure it out. Why would your brother be looking at two different pres? The XSP-1 is a balanced two channel pre and the XMC-1 is a 7.2 channel pre. Would you need both?....or were you considering only one or the other.

As far as the amp goes, I think it is a great choice. I own almost a dozen of their amps and have really enjoyed the results.

The XPS-1 is the phono pre-amp. Easy to get them mixed up.

What version hdmi does your 8801 have I cant seem to find it on the website.

• HDMI version 1.4a with support for 3D video, Audio Return Channel, Deep Color, x.v.Color, auto lip-sync, and HDMI-CEC

from the Crutchfield web site: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Cye0n3X4VAg/p_642AV8801/Marantz-AV8801.html

the new AV 7702 is the same price and here is some discussion on that: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1708666-marantz-av8801-vs-7702-a.html

This is what I was referring to when I said interesting, sorry.

TONS of reading here on the Emo. I am a member on the EMO forum but I find that there are 2 types of people there 1) fan boy to the Apple degree and 2) people who question things; those questioning are bashed harshly.

With my opinion stated, I tend to go to somewhat neutral sites to 'investigate'.

On the other hand buy the EMO who has a great 30 return policy. Buy the other stuff first and then the processor so you have a full 30 days to make up your (his) own mind.

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 1

I have the XMC-1 and the XPS-1 along with a UPA 500 and a UPA 200. Yes I am a fan boy, but really love my EMO gear.

Do I think it is the best out there, No but think for the money it is. The XMC-1 with Dirac is as easy or as hard as you want it to be,

as far as set up goes.Easy to get started but a ton of things to adjust and tweak as you learn more. They have had a few minor

bugs when it first came out, but they were fixed quickly.

I have the XMC-1 and the XPS-1 along with a UPA 500 and a UPA 200. Yes I am a fan boy, but really love my EMO gear.

Do I think it is the best out there, No but think for the money it is. The XMC-1 with Dirac is as easy or as hard as you want it to be,

as far as set up goes.Easy to get started but a ton of things to adjust and tweak as you learn more. They have had a few minor

Do you use it for 2 channel also and if so, impressions.

Do you use it for 2 channel also and if so, impressions.

Yes I do. I am a big fan of RTR, LP and yes 8 track. The xmc has a ref. stereo mode that works very well with good recordings.

I mostly listen in stereo mode with Dirac on. The sound stage and clarity is very!! good!! to me. It has been rumored that the

analog section in the xmc is the same as in their stereo preamp? I love the sound of my RTR it sounds warm and natural to

me, most pre/pros I have heard with tape, give up some of the high end of the range. The xmc is very clear without being harsh.