Who Would Have Known? (or what have I been missing?)

artto

WOW.

(possibly) Being the market for a new AVR, naturally I’ve been doing some research. In contention for AVR in my HT/TV setup are Pioneer Elite w/D3, Denon & surprisingly (to me) Onkyo.

Granted, HT/cinema is not my main interest. It’s mainly for watching the morning news, background sound (TV off) for Bloomberg Business News during the day, TV sitcoms during weekday dinner and maybe a movie on BluRay/DVD/premium cable weekend evening, or just playing some background music via FM, and now possibly internet radio/WiFi. As you can see there’s not much in the real HT department in there.

In doing my research I was surprised to find out that Onkyo now owns Pioneer’s home audio-visual business. And that a couple years ago Gibson (the guitar company) owns Stanton (of phono pickup renown), Teac/Tascam and Cerwin Vega among others. And recently entered a partnership (ownership?) with Onkyo.

Since I trade stocks & such now for a living I’m kind of amazed that all these business transactions flew under my radar, especially being an audiophile & semi-pro musician.

What’s next? Consolidation between Fender, Sony, Apple & Imax? Or Samsung buying Audiovox (Klipsch), Tesla & WalMart? Hmmmm, might be interesting. One stop shopping. Get your new TV, fridge and car all at the same place. LOL

• Like 1