New rules Texas Auto Registration / Inspection

USNRET

I don't know how I missed this but no more windshield inspection stickers. I skated by without need to have an inspection this year but didn't know that until today.

http://twostepsonesticker.com/

more info:

http://baylorlariat.com/2015/02/04/texas-inspection-stickers-to-become-a-two-step-one-sticker-process/

• Moderators

That law is confusing.  They are combining the inspection sticker with the registration sticker, so instead of two it will only be one.  But some people's annual inspection date is out of synch with their registration date.  In order to make it so people will not be required to have two inspections in one year (to get back in synch) people are allowed to delay their inspection one year in order to get back in synch.  

The key date, is if your registration renewal is on or after March of 2015.  If you renewed in Jan. or Feb. of this year I believe you need to get synched up this year.  Next year 2016 you have to bring in proof of your inspection with you need to have proof of inspection to renew because it is now a condition of registration whereas before it was a separate requirement.  In other words, you could get your vehicle registered whether you had your vehicle inspected or not.    

This was passed in the last session and became effective 1/01/15.  

My registration was due my EOM March 2015.

My inspection is due by EOM Feb 2015.

I re-newed registration on line a couple of weeks ago and have received the sticke.

It APPEARS that, since I did not wait until 01 March to re-new registration now it's not due until EOM March 2016, I can now scrape the inspection sticker off on 01 March 2015 and be legal since I do not have to prove inspection status until re-newal of registration.

Wanna bet there will be some confused citizens and law enforcement.

In order to make it so people will not be required to have two inspections in one year (to get back in synch) people are allowed to delay their inspection one year in order to get back in synch.

That's not the way I understand it.  You still have to have your annual inspection but will not receive a sticker.  The information will be sent electronically to Austin so they can verify that you have had an inspection prior to issuing your registration sticker when it's due.

In order to make it so people will not be required to have two inspections in one year (to get back in synch) people are allowed to delay their inspection one year in order to get back in synch.

That's not the way I understand it.  You still have to have your annual inspection but will not receive a sticker.  The information will be sent electronically to Austin so they can verify that you have had an inspection prior to issuing your registration sticker when it's due.

I agree but since I have been issued a registration sticker that is dated to expire in March 2016 I would only have to re-inspect prior to re-newal in 2016. According to some of the articles I have read the inspection cycle for a lot of folks will indeed be in excess of one year...the first year only (discounting the new vehicle rule with two years registration)

Edited by USNRET

I can now scrape the inspection sticker off on 01 March 2015 and be legal since I do not have to prove inspection status until re-newal of registration.

If you are stopped or in an accident your inspection status will certainly be checked.  Just because you don't need a sticker doesn't mean that you're allowed to let your annual inspection lapse. 

I found this in my notes.

Q:  Will I have to pay for more than one inspection in a year?

A:  No, you will not have to pay for more than one inspection in a year.  During the Sync up year from March 1, 2015-February 29, 2016 some vehicle owners will go beyond their 12 month inspection cycle to align the expiration dates for inspection and registration.

As I said earlier, I reserve the right to be wrong.

• Moderators

There is a calculator on that twostep site you can use. I entered March 2015 registration and February 2015 inspection sticker and it said you need to have a current inspection, however, I heard they don't start looking at inspection status until March 1st. That is consistent with what USNRET was able to do. I think technically you are supposed to have a current inspection with a March 2015 renewal date, but the system isn't checking yet.

To me it seems like if they were able to check that for people who get stopped, like they can check the insurance status, they would issue a warning ticket.

Of course, like you say, it is going to be a matter of who is stopping you.

If you renew after March 1st, and have an inspection later in the year, September for example, you do not need to have an inspection until the following year. The calculator on the website confirms that, assuming the calculator is correct.

• Moderators

I agree but since I have been issued a registration sticker that is dated to expire in March 2016 I would only have to re-inspect prior to re-newal in 2016. According to some of the articles I have read the inspection cycle for a lot of folks will indeed be in excess of one year...the first year only (discounting the new vehicle rule with two years registration)

Did they issue you a Feb 2016 sticker or a March 2016 sticker? March right?

• Moderators

Quote from website below, so next year they will not send you a renewal notice like you got last year because they will not see a current inspection for you, they will send inspection renewal form.

Registration Renewal Process

Here’s a more detailed overview of how renewing your vehicle’s registration will take place after March 1, 2015.

Before issuing your registration renewal notice, TxDMV will check the state inspection records for your last inspection. If your inspection record cannot be found, is expired or failing, you will not receive a registration renewal notice. Instead, TxDMV will send you an Inspection and Registration Notice informing you that no record could be located. The notice will remind you that an inspection must be completed in order to renew your vehicle registration.

END QUOTE

Based on that I would say you are good.

Congratulations, looks like you found a loophole.

Did they issue you a Feb 2016 sticker or a March 2016 sticker? March right?

March