New Hardware for Speakers (Outlaw)

PrgSkidmark

Hey All,

I'll break it down.

I got a pair of RF3IIs last week.

I love 'em the way they are.

Now I'm itching to buy new hardware. Perhaps just to maybe hear them better. Maybe because I need something to do (fishing gear analogy). Maybe I'm a little crazy. I am in an apartment. I'll get a house in 6+ months hopefully. So I don't really NEED anything new.

OK, so here's the variables.

1. If I'm going to buy anyways I might as well have it now.

2. I could use that money to buy other stuff when I get a house, or down payment.

3. If I get something to get me by I'll end up getting something better, and the money I spent could have went toward something better. (That happens to me a lot)

4. Space, electricity, weight, more money on interconnects, more speakers to fill channels, etc.

Is it normal to analyze this deep?

I would like to know people's opinion on blowing a wad of cash on hardware only to think I coulda had...

I'm thinking of putting myself on the Outlaw list for the 950/770 combo, but that is just soooo much power that I don't need right now.

Should I plan for the future by having those extra channels and extra power just sitting there??

I might have more to deal with like hums and little details that would make me wish that I shoulda stuck with my ONKYO.

This is also my first message to say hello. I've got Klipsch now. Well, I had Klipsch in college...

Thanks,

Doug

If you want my honost-to-god opinion, I'd just save the money towards getting that house. You can always buy gear later when you have more money. Believe me, I was in that same boat several years ago (except with computers - really wanted a newer/faster computer at the time). I ended up waiting and just get the house instead.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

"I got a pair of RF3IIs last week.

I love 'em the way they are."

I personally wouldn't go that big (Outlaw 950/770) for an apartment dweller, especially if you can't really use it. I would wait until you get in the new house before spending a bundle on additional gear - so you can tailor those choices in equipment to your living space. Also, that wait should eliminate the waiting list at Outlaw (I assume they will be shipping 950's by then).

If you can live with what you have, I would stand pat until you move into the house. In the meantime, stick around - you'll get lots of good ideas here - I sure did! You'll discover that there are many more choices than you ever thought possible.

Welcome to Klipsch!

------------------

Klipsch Cornwall II's (mains) - Klipsch Academy (center channel) - Klipsch Chorus (surrounds)

Krell Home Theater Standard processor - Outlaw 750 Amplifier (5x165)

Bass Kit: 2 JBL 4638 LFE/Bass Reinforcement cabinets - Crown CE 1000 amplifier - Behringer Feedback Destroyer (Bass EQ)

Sources: Rega Planet CD Player - Pioneer DV-333 - 2 Aiwa ADF-850 3 head cassette decks - General Instruments cable box - Panasonic VHS PV-4459 - Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe (computer sound)

f> c> s>

Buy the house ASAP and slap down as big a D.P. as you can muster. An extra $2000.00 in down can translate into $10000.00 saved over the life of a mortgage. Is it worth $8000.00 to you have that Outlaw 6 months or so sooner - especially when you admit that you can't really use it yet??

A possible compromise - forego the Outlaw for now and on the day you make your down payment take $200.00 and blow it on a bunch of primo,(or even Prima),CD's as a reward for being a good boy! Perhaps the anticipation of getting a stack of disks will help motivate you to buying a house sooner than later. In addition budget for an audio savings plan and aside from whatever else is in your plan put aside a few bucks every pay into your toy fund. If you have a mate she/he should do the same. Some days even when you love your job as I do now,(Gracias Deo),knowing that getting to the office means you are $10.00 closer to that toy you want really can make a difference. By the time lunch rolls around you'll realise that you have BS'd your own self but by that time you might as well finish the day and you'll actually be 10 bucks closer to the toys,(unless you blow 40 bucks over lunch getting the courage to go back for the last half of the day).

Be careful with that strategy though it takes a degree of finesse as I learned to my sorrow. When I told "She who must be obeyed" that I bought a new amp instead of The Corniche she threw a hissy fit - Go Figure!! You try and save a woman a couple hunnert thousand and she gets all bent outta shape ??????

This message has been edited by lynnm on 08-07-2002 at 07:58 PM

since the room your equipment is in is a HUGE factor in how your stuff sounds, plan on getting a great ht room in your new house!!

the first room we remodeled in our house was the former family room,and after 11 years selling and 8+years installing, i FINALLY have my own ht room, and it is GREAT!!

good luck,avman.

p.s. LYNNM-'she who must be obeyed'-LOL!! i had to go along w/med.oak finish instead of mahogany-at least i didn't have to get little speakers!

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

jvc s-vhs-et hi-fi stereo vcr

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Thanks all for your thoughts.

I'll make sure the all my dough is put into a safe place. Maybe with interest I'll make 50 bucks or so before I need it.

I don't have a woman yet. I've read all the stories about purchasing stuff without the wife knowing. Perhaps she'll be into that stuff also.

TTYL,

Doug

Buy the Outlaw 1050 for $499. or $450. for "B" stock, if available. It is a fantastic A/V receiver with superb sound quality and plenty of power for efficent Klipsch speakers. I can afford the new Outlaw proucts but I just can not see how they could be that much better than what I've got.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems