Richard gray

H-D Rider

Now what I'm about to say is verbatem from my good friend and sales rep who sold me my main rig. My BAT VK-200 is 100WPC and he says the RGP 400 will make it sound and deliver like a 200WPC amp. I am about to take that leap after several years thinking about it myself. I trust him and he has years of first hand experince in his showroom with them so give me a month or so and I'll give you my impression ;)

the RGP 400 will make it sound and deliver like a 200WPC amp.

Because it has a few caps in it?  I understand the concept that if your amp doesn't receive enough current it will underperform, but I can't see how giving it ample current on demand will make it perform better than originally designed.  I'd like to read the supporting science behind it.

As I understand this subject power conditioners merely see to it that any fluctuation in line current is negated....... that your equipment will be receiving a consistent power supply regardless of what is occurring on the grid.  If your entire rig requires a total of 'X' number of amps you will need a power conditioner able to supply that level of consistent power.  Having lived where power surges and brown outs occurred I have used conditioners and they do work.

That said....... you will find that power conditioners are sometimes built in to higher end devices.  My Accuphase integrated has its own power conditioner built in to the unit.

And no device should ever draw more amperage than you demand of it to produce a volume of sound.  You can give them access to 400 amps but they will only draw current according to how loud you have set them to operate.  If your speakers demand high wattage you will need amplifiers able to deliver that power cleanly across all frequencies.  If your speakers do not require tons of power then giving them more is just not a good idea.

The reviews are either its mind blowing or they are so much snake oil I heard no difference . 

As I have experienced........ if you live in an area where line power normally fluctuates you will likely notice a real difference in how your system plays with a power conditioner.  It is not uncommon for line power fluctuate.  You can plug some high draw motors into your own house circuit and the lights will dim.  Rolling brown outs are policy in some areas of the country.  These units are essentially transformers that power up and hold electricity and release it in a controlled manner.  If you've ever watched how a capacitor works it does the same thing on a much smaller scale.  Power conditioners use toroidal transformers.  That is why they're so damned heavy.  Lots of metal.