What causes the Emotional response to MUSIC

joessportster

I have never really thought what makes music affect me Emotionally.

It seems that lately I realize at least to some degree that a memory tied to a particular song can generate emotions, Funny thing is it does not have to be a memory on a personal basis,

Example, The Movie Warrior, the song, About Today by The National..............I remember enjoying the movie. But dont recall being overly affected by it. The song can generate emotion though ??

There are songs that bring up emotions from personal situations............The song somehow became tied to the event

Then there are those songs that for no apparent reason just cause a chill from the first listen...........This does not happen as much as it once did. It is a welcome feeling though when it takes place

It is nice to set back and let music transport me back to some past events, 

and now back to my personal time machine  :)

Cheers

• Like 1

Same here, and to add, one reason for my venture back inot records is for the few childhood memories I did have. I am instantly brought back to summertime in Ohio when listening to some of my albums, and am also brought back to my pre-teen years in Jersey City.

Music for me has gotten me through some very extreme and bad times. When I felt no one out there undestood me,all I had to do was hide in my music. When I felt no one had my back and I was alone, music was my escape.

It is a constant book mark for me in my life and lets me skip from page to page or chapter to chapter.

As I get older, it's more for me to remember things I'm doing with my kids now.

• Like 2

As I get older, it's more for me to remember things I'm doing with my kids now.

A lot of music recalls a particular memory and the associated feeling that you had a the time.  Jim it is great to share music with the kids.  They will remember it and always associated with a good time with Dad. 

For sad times there is Tum and Beano, lol.

Edited by derrickdj1

Derrick,

I have been taking my kids to concerts with me for the past 7 years, we've been to about 10 or 11 now together, and have been in the front row at our last 3 concerts. The kids have gotten guitar picks, drum sticks, and have met several of the groups we've seen.

I get the kids thing I have a song I remember bouncing Joey on my lap to many times, and another where he fell asleep setting with me listening to music under 1 year old at the time

I remember Jacob dancing to "You should be dancing" by the Bee Gee's We all watched Despicable Me

Happy Memories to be sure, Just  the other day I loaded Ozzy Osbourne  I Don't Wanna Stop on Joey's DS and He goes around serenading us now :D  

I can not remember song titles or artists for the life of me but when a song comes on I equate it to where I was stationed and what party was happening. For instance: Erick Clapton's Cocaine was playing loudly in Rota, Spain during a big party. George Thorogood Bad To the Bone was whailing out my windows from a baracks in Okinawa. Jimmy Buffet was a staple in Brunswick, Me.

Jimmy Mac When Are you Coming Back '60s at home

The Green Berets was something that I liked but scared the heck outta me as i was counting the numbers.

Edited by USNRET

When my youngest was 2, I had to play the B-52's Time Capsule and Billy Idol's Greatest Hits daily for him in the car, in order so he waould be OK for the drifve to drop him off at the babay sitters. He knew every word to every song on both cds by the time he was 4. His 1st concert was the B-52's and we met them before the concert. He sang to Kate Pierson 5 songs word for word. The other kids also sang to her.

I'm the opposite, I can name a song within the 1st few notes, tell you who sings it, and most of the times the year it came out. I also get a flashback for a specific day or time that song was engrained into my head.

Manfred Mann's Blinded By The Light was a soing in the summer for me, and as much as I love that song, always brings back bad memeories for me of someone OD'ing in my house that was my parents friend. Person died right there and reminds me of all the arguing over calling the police and not calling the police because it was due to heroin.

The Stones Have You Seen Your Mother Baby and Ruby Tuesday always brings me back to Ohio in 1974 on a Sunday rainy afternoon listening to the record with my mother while she sat in a chair smoking Raleigh 100's cigarettes.

Run DMC's Rock Box 1984 in my bedroom during summer vacation being punished for the summer for stealing a bicycle from what wound up being my cousins bike. One of the older kids forced me and a friend to do this or we'd get beaten up, and when I got back home, my cousin and mother were outside waiting for me.