Epic CF3 impedance

rbtwsp

I know this speaker is rated for nominal 8 ohms, but I would like to know how low could the impedance drop under normal conditions? I am thinking of using them with a SET amp such as Decware or Coincident that use EL84's in the triode mode.

Thanks Bob

I have read that the impedance can dip down to 2.8 ohms at times. I have used my Cf3's with several tube amps over the years including a 5 watt set amp. 

They sounded nice with tubes, though they sometimes had a little too much bass with the amps I had.

Shiva,

That's interesting, I would never had guessed too much bass. I was thinking lack of bass control being the CF 3's have two 10" woofers. The reason I asked about the impedance was my concern for bad effects or stressing the amp etc, with the impedance dropping low.

You said that the 'impedance can dip to 2.8 at times', did this info come from Klipsch? I am not questioning your info, it's just that I have searched for a impedance graph and asked on another site and am unable to find specific data. Any other info would be much appreciated.

Thanks Bob

Edited by rbtwsp

think you will find the CF3/4 not as efficient as the factory numbers suggest in that they really do like and respond to a lot more power than small SET will provide. Search the archive for owner response and find comments. Look at the band and the size and ask yourself if 10 watts will get you where you want to go. These are nor Khorns. Best regards Moray James.

I remember reading of the impedance drop here on this site, though some years ago.  I also, could not find the info doing a quick search for the Epic line.  You might do a quick search for the impedance of the RF7 speaker. Its impedance drops below 3 ohms and has a similar curve from what I have also read.

think you will find the CF3/4 not as efficient as the factory numbers suggest in that they really do like and respond to a lot more power than small SET will provide. Search the archive for owner response and find comments. Look at the band and the size and ask yourself if 10 watts will get you where you want to go. These are nor Khorns. Best regards Moray James.

Moray,

I do not understand what you mean by "band and the size". I have also heard the CF3 is a bit less efficient stated. 

Moray,

I do not understand what you mean by "band and the size". I have also heard the CF3 is a bit less efficient stated.

Band as in bandwidth and size should be self explaining (physical, just in case, there is this law by a guy named Hoffman look it up)). Wide bandwidth small physical size compared to a true high efficiency system as in horns so you have to pay the piper there is no free lunch nothing is free. sure you can play then at a decent enough level on half a dozen watts but they won't sound real and they won't even begin to do what they can do given some power, they are what they are and in a lot of ways I think they are the best Klipsch has ever done thanks to Roy Delgado the man who designed them. If you don't provide them with what they need they will never give you what they can and you would have missed out on something very special. Best regards Moray James.

Moray,

Thank you very much, I had a feeling I knew what you  were saying, but wanted to be sure. I think my best options would be either a hybrid integrated or bi-amping with SS for bass and tube for highs.

Bob

Edited by rbtwsp

There is no reason you cant have both to play with.  I have had 2 separate amp systems sharing my main speakers for years.  I have my a/v receiver with a Crown K2 power amp powering the Epics, plenty of power there.  I have also played with tube integrated amps and T-amps as well.  Right now I have a Topping TP32ex.  It is  a T-amp with 30watts at 8 ohms and 50 at 4. Got it off of Amazon.  It has a usb, a digital coax and an analog input.  It is a nice little amp for about $160 bucks.    Each amp has its own speaker wire with banana plugs and I just swap them out at the speaker terminals when I want to play with the little amps whether for fun or for going minimalist.        

Edited by shiva
  • Like 2

Hey Bob,

I think you should go for it. I have had a couple of amps from Antique Sound Lab or ASL. One was the ASL mg15dt or something like that. It had a switch that gave you a choice between a  5 watt triode set amp and a 15watt pentode. They also have a ASl 1001DT. It is a 29 watt set amp and with a flick of a switch it becomes 50 watts, so you can play with both options;

Marc 

Edited by shiva
  • Like 1