Had to lay off two long time coworkers and friends today.

sean5340

Sean,

A few years ago I had to permanently lay off every employee I had. It crushed me. I was paying them to sweep and odd jobs, but eventually I gave up hope that there would be business. We were in the warehousing business, and had to very large customers. One moved the manufacturing to another place, and the other went with a mega-facility. These men worked with and for me for as many as 30 years! 

For that year, I had at least 2 nights a week that I didn't even sleep. The other nights, I would sleep maybe 3 hours. I seriously thought I would be dying within a year. I was crushed.

I got some good advice, but I didn't believe it until I saw it. My father said not to worry, hard working men can always find another job, and that they will be OK. I kept track of every single one of them, and as the weeks and months passed by, I saw all of them find another job. This was back in 2008. They are fine, I am sleeping, the business rents the buildings to other companies, one a manufacturer and the other storing sand for fracking.

We are all still upright, and things worked out. I am certainly glad this did not kill me.

The current cheap oil is precisely targeted at ensuring our return to dependence on ME oil.

It's targeted at keeping our drilling rigs stationary and silent. And Oil Field Worker layoffs is just the tip of the iceberg. The depth of layoffs runs significantly deeper than just a few thousand guys in the field.

Sean, I sorry you had to experience that. I sucks, but at least it your friends got to here it from you.

Edited by Gilbert