Changing Plans for a Power Amp

As some of you probably read earlier this week, some change in plans have resulted in me staying home for the rest of my schooling. As such, I no longer need to worry about a separate sub, or integrated for a dorm room.

I have an Emotiva LMC-1 that is currently powering bookshelf speakers, but it's not giving them the power I'd like - and why would it? It's not designed to keep up with the Fusion.

So now that's got me searching for a good 2 channel power amp that will be permanently integrated into the setup. I'm probably going to search used, but am trying to figure out if the XPA-200 or the UPA-200 would be the best bet. However, my main question is...when I do get this power amp, would it be better to put my towers on the power amp, and the bookshelf speakers on the Fusion? If I were to get one of the XPA or UPA's, those tend to run in the range of 100-200 wpc. So would I be getting more bang for my buck doing things that way?

Is there a better way to do this to ensure that they incorporate well in the surround profiles, and work just as seamlessly in 2-channel format? I've never really dealt with a straight up amp before, so this would be new waters for me.

• Like 1

Hey Ibiza, I would definitely look at running an XPA-2 or UPA-1's or something to power the towers and let the Fusion power everything else. I have three XPA-2's and a pair of UPA-1's spread out in different systems in my house and they sound fantastic. Ample power for about any speakers you wish to throw at them.

There were a pair of UPA-1's in the Emotiva forum. Have not seen anything posted of them selling.

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/thread/41769/emotiva-sale

I used to own a UPA-2, which is very nice as well. Emotiva has a bunch of factory refreshed amps, preamps and almost everything else available. You have to call them directly at the 877 number though to find out exactly what they have. I spent half an hour with Cathy Laufman on the phone yesterday and have all the priices available for what they have ready to sell....at least as far as amps. PM me if you want me to forward the pricing to you. Really good deals.

I'd love to have an XPA-2. I've read so many good things about the XPA series, but I just can't swing that kind of a pricetag.

I wonder if the guy would work with me on the UPA's. That seems like an extremely reasonable deal. I just need this LMC to move out of here. Both of those UPA's together is within the range I'd be willing to pay too.

I saw that post on the stuff going onto eBay over there, it confused me until I read some later posts. haha

You really can't beat the pricing on the factory refreshed goodies they have. If I had more space I would buy more. I actually just received my fifth XDA-2 today. Going to run it in a 2.2 with a pair of Outlaw Audio mono blocks through apair of Klipsch KG 2.2's and a pair of Infinity BU-2 powered subs.

I just sent you the list I had with pricing. I was running a pair of KP-250's and a pair of KSB 3.1's powered by the Emotiva UPA-2 recently and it worked great.

Not sure if you are aware, but the XDA-2 can be used as a preamp with dual purpose. You can run out to your amps via XLR while at the same time running dual (or a single) powered subwoofer via the RCA outs. I have that set up with a pair of Heresies and a pair of Speakercraft Bass-X10's. Sounds amazing. Same set up I am going to run with the Outlaw amps as stated above.

Yeah, I read that. It's something I have yet to play with. Honestly, my whole configuration just about has transformed since I joined here and started putting all of the pieces together. I used to think what I had sounded great, and worked great...and anything less would leave me feeling lacking. I also used to think that the one thing I'd miss when moving away from Yamaha was sound profiles...I have yet to feel buyers remorse. :lol:

This gear sounds great, looks great...and the best part about Emotiva...besides price, it's blue. I mean...come on, blue's the best color there is.

Haha, right?

Hopefully I can get in touch with Emotiva first thing on Monday. Though if I hear back about those UPA mono's...that seems like it'd be the better option. I hear amazing things about monoblock amps. Would that be a correct assumption?

I have a pair of the UPA-1's and three XPA-2's and I would say they sound fairly similar. The UPA-1's a re a lot easier on the back and much easier to find shelf space for. Both have wonderful range and plenty of bass extension. Of course some of that depends on the speakers you run them with. If I could swing it I would have XPR-1's paired mono blocks for every system I have. Until I win the lottery what I have now works!

If you are happy with the RF-3's, no need to worry about upgrading. I go through so much stereo and surround equipment my wife wants to kill me. You can see by my signature what I have set up in my house already. Not counting the 2.2 system I will put together once the Outlaw amps show up. I have issues.....lol!

I have two closets full of stuff I no longer use, or simply do not currently have set up. I have so many components down there I lost track. I have at least six Infinity quadrapole speakers, a slew of Technics amps, cd players, cassette decks, EQ's......even a complete compact high end stereo. Add in my hoard of Klipsch.....let's see... RS-3 II's, an RC-3 II, like five KV-3's, a KMC center, KV-2's, KV-1, SB3's, SB 2's, B3's.......... I am like a pack rat. All of it works and most of it is inreally good shape so I keep thinking I will have a need to swap it in or something....it is an addiction!

Those Parasounds look pretty nice and slick too. But they touchdown just on the outside of my budget's flexibility. (That's with adding some extra rope). Unless I were to get everything I had to sell, sold in the next few days.

With teamans help, I put in an order for a refurb UPA-2. It should be here over my time off...so I will have time to play. I would have gotten mono blocks if my expenses were okay with it...but I am sure the 2 will be just fine. I am excited. :D