KHorn down - no sound from tweeter - ALK networks

richieb

Last night the tweeter, Selenium D220, began making what I can best dscribe as a hsissing sound exactly like air from a tire valve. I run tubes amps and there was no "bad" tube sound, no crackling, scratching just an off/on hiss. So to be sure I change the 6SN and 6SL tubes, same hiss. Power tubes are biased spot on. This evening I am hearing no hiss but also no sound, the tweet is dead. Since the amp is new I place another tube amp in position and confirm -  not tubes or amps and tweet is dead through both amps. Check tweet and get a reading of 6 ohm, amp off, no power to tweet disconnected from x-over. Check the ALK at the tweet terminal and no reading.  These are the ALK two piece extreme slope networks. Any ideas what/where to look? I understand any component can fail within an assembly but in a crossover? And I do not play loud by any means. Any/all suggestions appreciated.

• Like 1

I not sure but it does sound like the crossover. Hope someone chimes in here to help you......You could try checking solder points or if you have raw speaker handy hook it to the output to see if the tweet out put is for sure bad.  Rick

I have those same xovers and have not had this problem--yet, knock on wood. Check the obvious, make sure all interconnection screws are tight etc. Remove the little jumper on the tweeter attenuator and reinstall to remove any tarnish. BTW is this on both left and right? And they both have same problem at the same time? Do you still have the original xovers? Maybe try reinstalling them to see if problem goes away/still persists. If all else fails call Al.