Quick Project To Add Some Bass To Heresies - Nexus Stingray SW84

BLSamuel

Bought a nice Nexus Stingray SW84 a few years back.  NO T/S parameters.  Optimized for 0.33 cu ft sealed box.  

I contacted Eminnence and it was one of theirs.  Anthony in customer service helped me find the Eminence part no and provided the T/S parameters.  

So I thought might be pretty close for a Tuba such as Auto Tuba.  Mustang Guy who has built one thought the xmax was a bit too far to be close enought, but close enough to produce a lot of bass.  

Might be close enough for an Auto Tuba 

The Tuba plans are very affordable so may go that route.  Unless somebody wants to design something that's not overly complicated to build in 2 or 3 days,  Daughter has asked to borrow a couple of "small" speakers for a friends wedding reception.  

The biggest speakers we have are Heresy 1 Extremes (GMLA51 restored and pimped...).  Thought some REAL DEAP bass would be nice without abusing the Heresies.  For what they'll probably play, the Heresies probably go as deep as they'll need..... 

8291            4 OHM
67-98080361
cleardot.gif

It has a 2" voice coil so the rating specified would be continuous.  Here are the T/S parameters:

05-RE OHMS    2.97         13-FS HZ      33.10
 06-LE MH       .78         14-MMS GMS    59.69
 07-QM        12.69         15-CMS mm/N    .3873
 08-QE         .420         16-RMS NS/M    .9781
 09-QT         .400         17-VAS LTRS    23.07
 10-XMAX MM   6.40          18-SD SCM     205.93
 11-BL TM     9.42          19-EBP        79.7
 12-EFF %      .19          20-SPL dB     84.9

It was manufactured in 1998.

Thanks in advance.... I have rudimentary measurement and eq with ADC Soundshaper... (and just arrived today Tascam US-1200 that can power a calibrated mic and has 24/96 USB output....but only "calibrated" mic is one that came with the ADC that has a wonky cable )

post-24585-0-16520000-1429349339_thumb.j

post-24585-0-12240000-1429349356_thumb.j

• Like 1

Your driver can be used for a Table Tuba.

The X-max is on the low side but if you don't run a big amp you will be good. Amp choice #1 ot #2

The Auto Tuba is made for the confined space of a car, your driver would be best used for the Table Tuba.

Run that in a sealed or ported box and you won't get much out of it.

A Table Tuba is a perfect way to keep nice tight bass that matches up very well with a pair of Heresy's

Auto tuba is for car use only. It has crappy bass unless it is a confined space which can take advantage of cabin gain. In a Table tuba it should be -3db at 31Hz. If you want lower than that, you will need a different driver.

In a ported enclosure, you would use that driver in a box with an internal volume under 1 cu ft, and tuned to 32Hz, which is a 2" round port about 8" long. The max SPL would be in the 103db range. The efficiency would be about 85db.

In a table tuba, you will be reaching excursion at 25 watts at the rated 32Hz. That would be amplified by the horn, which would probably give better results than the standard portted enclosure I designed in paragraph 2 above. 

I would agree with jason that if you are going to built a table tuba, more xmax would mean a lot. 

These tubas take 3 days to build. You gotta let glue dry etc. I have done it quicker, but PL glue is messy as hell, and that is what you have to use. 

I wanted to make a separate response, so you could digest the first one I made above. 

Most wedding receptions are in huge rooms, in tents, etc. That is challenging for big subs. If you are thinking of this type venue, the Heresy's are perfect, but if you want a sub with them, you should be considering a PA sub like one of the T30's at Bill Fitzmaurice.

Room is not so huge for reception in building in a local park.  Daughter just wanted to borrow some speakers.  Thought be nice to add some thump to the Heresies.  Still haven't started so it isn't going to happen for Saturday.  

Table Tuba would definitely be the way to go for this project..  Now to decide on squire or long. Was thinking could use in garage or if could protect a bit put under deck outside to add some bottom end to AW525.  

And if I can build an ugly one that's not too ugly.  Then maybe make one for the living room.  

Thanks for the info guys.  

I wouldn't do ugly, unless you mean not painted. The reason I say is that alignment of panels is how you know you don't have leaks, and leaks are devastating to BFM subs. If you start Saturday and work on it off and on each day, you will be doing the final glue Monday sometime. No matter how fast you work, it will be Monday sometime. If you glue in the morning, you can test it out Monday evening.

When it's time to doll it up, I like the way Carl did his. He used auto body filler, primer and auto paint. That thing is dead sexy.