new guy here, needs your opinion

marksdad

i just upgrade almost my entire system, i have 2 rf5's for my front chanels, 2 rf3's for my surrounds, 1 each rc311 front and rear center, an ksw 12 for my sub, all running off of an ONKYO TX DS-797 reciever, with an ONKYO DV C-600 dvd player. i would like to know how i did? and i also waant to get the second rear center, wouid i do better moving my front rc3 to the rear, and getting an rc7? or does someone have a better idea thanks in advance

marksdad,

Welcome to the Klipsch Forum. You've put together one heck of a Klipsch System! I like the full range rears to compliment the fronts. As far as center, the RC-3II is adequate, but if you are inclined to add an additional, I concur with the RC-7, it would be an excellent fuller addition, plus it matches tone and timbre wise too. I have a KSW-12 paired with and SVS 20-39 sub. Though KSW-12 is a fairly good sub, you would surely have gained more than adequate good tight bass reproduction for LFE bass in movies and low bass content in a lot music disc's, had you chosen at aminum one of Klipsch's RSW subs. However, if you feel the KSW meets your bass needs, then that's what matter most.

A very nice and worthy set-up in deed!

Wes

<edit> Please check out some of the threads in the Subwoofer area a bit further down in the forum. You may find the topics interesting and informative. Enjoy your Klipsch.

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 08-11-2002 at 10:51 AM

Welcome to the board. I'm a newbie here too, and I'm just piecing my Klipsch system together now. Sounds like you have a killer setup there. I got my stuff from Wes (Shapeshifter), so listen to what he says, he knows his stuff! You might want to look into a SVS sub like Wes suggested, I've heard the PCi 20-39 and it rocks!! If you need more bass, that sub is a hands down winner!

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pci_20-39.htm

Welcome again, there's a lot of great people on this board, so if you have a question, you'll probably get an answer.... or two Smile.gif

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Home Theatre:s>

Harman Kardon AVR-125

Mitsubishi 60" Big Screen VS-60609

Sony DVD DVP-S530D

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch RC-3

Polk Audio PSW650 sub

This message has been edited by Orange Peel on 08-11-2002 at 11:30 AM

If the HT is your focus... the RC7 is totally different performance level from the RC3.

I have a large room width wise but the couch is only 10 feet from the center channel; I use the RC3.

If you have a larger distance or will move the distance back and get a front projector in the future the RC7 would be a good investment.

If you listen to allot of music here are a few thoughts that may enhance listening more than a center rear speaker for around the price of the RC7...

-2 channel separate power amp for the main speakers

-Rega or Rotel CD player

-MSB Link or Musical Fidelity upsampling DAC

Welcome to the forum!

Rick

thanks guys, your guidance and opinions are of extreem value to me, i have a new problem, i want to upgrade my front chanells, and i want something from the heritage series, i have looked into the heresy, the la scala, and the clipshorn, by what i have described in my stereo what would you buy if it were your system, my listening area measures 15* 15 i listen to music alot as well as view movies, i have also researched rotel cd players and will also upgrade to that, but what sounds like i need the most help? my goal is audio extacy, plus i hear everyone talk about tweaking thier speakers? and what is HT? THANKS MARK

me again, i need to mention that i have never auditioned any of the upper end heritage speakers, no one either owns them or sells them here in denver, and soundtrack tells me that if i would like they could order them for me sight unseen, and there would be a 2-6 month lead time on them as they only make them to order any more, plus the quoted prices are very high. does anyone have any help in this area as well? mark

marksdad - If you want Heritage in your room (15x15), I'd look at either La Scala's or Cornwalls, with a Heresy center channel. Those are both pretty good size speakers, but I think you could use them in that size room.

If those are too big, consider the Chorus. Technically not considered a Heritage speaker, but maybe son of Heritage (it uses the same mid-range as the Cornwall). I guess it could be described as an almost-Cornwall with a smaller footprint.

See if anyone in your area either has them (ask on this board) or is selling some, which you could go listen to.

Doug

BTW, HT stands for Home Theater.

------------------

My System

The models Doug mentioned are very worthy contenders for Home Theater and 2-channel music. If size or WAF is an issue, then five Heresy models would make a great HT, multi-channel and 2-channel system too. With the addition of a very good subwoofer or two, you would have a killer set-up for HT, multi-channel and 2-channel music.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

thanks for all of the grear advise guys, and let me see if i can explain a little better, as i said earlier i have RF 5's for my fronts, RF 3's for my satelites, RC 3's for my front and rear center's with an ksw 12 for my sub....... i want! to get heresy series for my front chanels, move the 5's to the satelite position, the 3's to the front and rear center chanel position (and use the rc 3's for 2 chanel on my yamaha micro system), now is this set up wise? second part of the question is the rotel cd player, currently i use a mediocre sony cd-md player/ burner, and i am told that for the reciever and speakers in comparison my cd player is a joke, at this point would it be wiser to first buy the cd player, or look for the heresy's? thanks in advance

I guess primarily the question in my mind is how well the Heritage models will blend with the Reference series you already have. I think that using a Reference as a center with Heritage mains might be too much of a mis-match. Guess I'd go with a Heresy as a center (or a KLF-C7) rather than a RC-3.

Also, it is possible that the RF-5s, while great speakers, might also not be a great match in the rear to a Heritage frontstage. For just surround effects in HT, they might be fine, but for 5-channel music I'd be concerned about the tone/timbre/agressiveness mistmatch with the Heritage line.

Just some ?s in my mind. Anyone else?

Doug

------------------

My System

well guys thanks, i appreciate your honesty, and it did confirm my thoughts, so i did take some of your advice. i went and auditioned a few cd players, and i ended up buying a rotel RCD 991 player, it as with my klipsh purchase added so much more depth, so much more pleasure to my listening experience, so i ask again, if my current system were yours, what would be your next steps to bettering the sound? again in advance, thanks for your help, mark

I would check the adequacy of your current sub. IMO the KSW -12 was ok for some music with the RF-3 Series. But it lacked the strength to reach deep enough for the demanding LFE in a lot of movies and really low bass in many music titles.

One way to check the subs adequacy is to set all speakers to small. If you feel that you prefer to have at a minimum the mains set to large, the rule of thumb is that the sub is not adequately meeting your needs.

I have no additional comments or concerns beyond the adequacy of the subwoofer to truly meet the required demands for LFE and low bass reproduction.

Enjoy,

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

0k shapeshifter, i did as you sugested, but i have to admit, my sub sounded really good, and than i watched the new release "we were soldiers" and the sub was awsome, you need to check this movie out, it has sooooo much bass that at times i had to turn it down (neighbors),anywaycwm15.gif i am learning, i have been trying to build a system for 3-4 years now, and instead of getting informed advice i always spoke to sales people, until i purchased my klipsh i had no point of reference, and i did that as a response to the polk guru on the polk site, he told me that my onkyo 797 was not a worthy reciever for his polk speakers, so i went looking, i took my $5,000 and began auditioning klipsh's, they have always been my dream speakers, and i noticed that i spent a little more than the supposed polk equals, but the sound coming out of the reference series was far brighter, more detailed,what i am trying to say is, i will continue to build my system, and i would like continued advice from all who feel that they can help, and yes i do think i am going to invest in an svs sub, even though the ksw 12 seems adequate, i want awesome, new questions, why would i want an upsampling dac? why would i put an seperate amp on my front channels? and is my purchase of the rotel RCD 991 a step in the right direction i bought it for $799, i did do a little research on this model before i bought it.and is the difference between heritage and reference that great that it would be noticable? thanks, mark

Mark,

Glad you are having fun! Your point of having to adjust the bass output due to too much bass at times is an example of one of my experiences prior to adding the SVS sub to my system. Actually, all speakers and the sub should be working in harmony and not drawing any undue attention to themselves. An adequate and properly calibrated sub should not require continuous adjustments. So with your planned addition of an SVS or equivalent sub you will remedy this occurrence.

Many of us add separate amplification for various channels, as it provides additional power and frees up the load on our receivers internal amplification. Several prefer added amplification for use with their 6.1/7.1 processors. Having full range Heritage front and rear, I added separate tube amplification because I personally like the warmth and dynamics they provide. Can't comment on use of DAC's nor the Rothel, as I have not used either.

My use of Heritage speakers is really one of preference too. The first Klipsch speakers I heard and fell in love with their sound were Heritage. For me they fully and satisfactorily meet my listening needs for 2-channel music and theater.

You truly have put together a great system. Those full range rears place you head and shoulders above many. Haven't heard the " we were soldiers" DVD, but will add this one to my list. Just bought, but haven't watched yet the "Black Hawk Down" DVD. If you have seen BHD, how would you rate the two releases?

Regards,

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 08-25-2002 at 08:20 AM

good to hear from you, i did not explain myself well, the video had so much that in those moments that contained alot of base, the fire fights, it was so true, so powerfull that i had to turn the volume down, my next door neighbor knocks at my door and tells me he thinks there are drive bye's going on, he is an old timer that appall's music, he said the tunes get stuck in his head and he cant rid himself of the noise? anyway i have seen both of the mentioned movies, and they are both excellent, except "we were soldiers" had a better more heroic story line, and black hawk down had excellent effects and sound, as did we were soldiers, except that soldiers had 4 times more action, well worth a viewing, mark

Audio Flynn,

The main HT has a Sony DVP-NC650V DVD/SACD/CD player. The bedroom HT has a Denon DVM-3700 HDCD/DVD. Neither of the HT systems gets a lot of CD play.

The Cornwall/Heresy 2-channel system has a Sony CDP-CA80ES Mulit Changer CD and is used mostly when I'm entertaining several friends. The Klipschorn system has an Ah! Tjoeb 99 Tube CD and is used for more serious listening by me, or other like minded listeners.

Mark,

Yep, I'm on the same page now. "Tunes get stuck in his head" what a hoot! Geeeez...you may have to get the old geezer a Medic Alert Monitor and a set of Protective Ear-Muffscwm4.gif

Thanks for the infor on the two movies.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>