5000th Topic in the Lounge: Mothers Day Texas Weather

Travis In Austin

Happy Mother's Day to all of those moms out there! 

Our mother passed away back in 1992.  In talking to my sister this year, this one has hit her harder than usual.  Over the years, I have noticed the emptiness and pain in my sister’s face as she had a very close relationship with mom and was about 20 years old when mom passed. They missed sharing a lot of special moments only a mom and daughter can experience in life. I talk to my step daughters about this once in a while and the impact it can have later in life when things are sometimes done out of spite (their mother is still around).

They say that mothers hold their children’s hands for only a short while; however, hold their hearts forever.

On the lighter side, some of mom’s "favorite" sayings;

What part of no don’t you understand?

I don’t care who started it.

Wait until your father gets home.

Your face is going to freeze like that.

No one said life was fair.

Go to your room.

Beds are for sleeping, not jumping.

Eat your vegetables.

No dessert for you tonight.

“I don’t know” is not an answer.

Edited by Fjd

Travis, I assume that you're a bit south in the Cleburne/Burleson area.  Some big storms around those parts yesterday with 47000 feet (14300 m) cloud tops. 

We were watching wunderground.com a bit closer than usual at that time.  Just rain here.

Edited by Chris A

Happy Mothers Day Travis, and everyone else!

I hope you stay safe Travis!

Fjd,

May I suggest that you pick up some "I'll Love You For Always" books for your step daughters and have their mom give them to them. My mom bought me a copy and it made me cry. It will mean a lot to them hopefully now and especially when she is gone!

Roger

• Like 1

• Moderators

Travis, I assume that you're a bit south in the Cleburne/Burleson area. Some big storms around those parts yesterday with 47000 feet (14300 m) cloud tops.

We were watching wunderground.com a bit closer than usual at that time. Just rain here.

Yes, right between Cleburne and Burleson, some super serious hail and winds last night.

My Mom's old home, town Olden, had a tornado, one death unfortunately.

Travis

• Moderators

My Mom just emailed me the following:

This is a true story? Well maybe...

A young cowboy from Texas goes off to college. Half way through the semester, having foolishly squandered all his money... he calls home.

"Dad," he says, "You won't believe what modern education is developing! They actually have a program here at A&M that will teach our dog, Ole' Blue how to talk!"

"That's amazing," his Dad says. "How do I get Ole' Blue in that program?"

"Just send him down here with $1,000" the young cowboy says "and I'll get him in the course."

So, his father sends the dog and $1,000.

About two-thirds of the way through the semester,

the money again runs out. The boy calls home.

"So how's Ole' Blue doing son?" his father asks.

"Awesome, Dad, he's talking up a storm," he says, "but you just won't believe this -- they've had such

good results they have started to teach the animals how to read!"

"Read!?" says his father, "No kidding! How do we get Blue in that program?"

"Just send $2,500, I'll get him in the class."

The money promptly arrives. But our hero has a problem.

At the end of the year, his father will find out the dog can neither talk, nor read.

So he shoots the dog.

When he arrives home at the end of the year, his father is all excited.

"Where's Ole' Blue? I just can't wait to see him read something and talk!"

"Dad," the boy says, "I have some grim news. Yesterday morning, just before we

left to drive home, Ole' Blue was in the living room, kicked back in the recliner,

reading the Wall Street Journal, like he usually does".

"Then Ole' Blue turned to me and asked, so, is your daddy still messing around

with that little redhead who lives down the street?"

The father went white and exclaimed, "I hope you shot that lying dog before he

talks to your Mother!"

"I sure did, Dad!"

"That's my boy!"

The kid went on to law school, and now serves in Washington D.C. as a Congressman.

• Moderators

Happy Mothers Day Travis, and everyone else!

I hope you stay safe Travis!

Fjd,

May I suggest that you pick up some "I'll Love You For Always" books for your step daughters and have their mom give them to them. My mom bought me a copy and it made me cry. It will mean a lot to them hopefully now and especially when she is gone!

Roger

Thanks Roger,

We actually got out of there in a gap in the weather.

Those sound like wonderful books.

Travis

• Like 1

Travis,

It is a single paper back childrens book, I was suggesting multiple copies for his multiple daughter in laws.

It is the story of a mother that has a little saying that she says to her newborn and continues saying it throughout his various stages in life, until he has to carry her from being to feeble and old and says it to her.

Extremely heart touching and well worth looking for and sharing with your own next generation via their mother.

Roger