Need a new DVD player, any suggestions?

m00n

Wife won't let me take our existing DVD player out to the theater, told me to use my XBox as my DVD player.... Ya right.

So, I am looking for a new DVD player, I don't want to spend gobs of money, but I do want a nice one. Progressive scan, DTS, Dolby Digital. Oh and this will be running out to a DLP projector if that bit of info helps cwm1.gif

Thanks All

m00n

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

mOOn,

I just got the Panasonic RP-82. It does all that you require plus DVD Audio and MP3 decoding. I got it for $219 plus shipping.

-Scott

------------------

BobG modified Forte II's

KG-4 Surrounds

Academy Center

DIY Sub based on Adire Audio Shiva Woofer

Sony DB830

I just got done seeing the specs for the Denon DVD-3800. I can get it for $950.00. Would you pay that for a DVD player, is it really worth it over a 4 or 5 hundred dollar DVD?

Thanks all

m00n

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

Moon,

I've had really good luck with JVC and Toshiba. In fact, you can get one of the newer JVC's with great specs, DD and DTS, progressive scan, and DVD-Audio for around $250-$300. And it plays all the writeable formats and MP3's.

I like Denon's receivers, but I've heard some stories about their disc players that weren't exactly favorable, especially for what they're charging. Good Luck!!

Dave Blue

------------------

"May your mind be like water and mold to many things." -Bruce Lee

Remember, You pay for what you get. The machines that run between $500.00 & $1000.00 are going to give you more than just the ability to play all of your formats. You have to take into concideration, picture quality it produces. is the transport loosey goosey or smooth as silk. Are there avg components on the inside or components like the TA-KE II capacitors etc. Most of us buy a new machine but once every 5 years. By spending a little more now you will continue to see and feel the benefits for a long time...IMHO

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Technique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Mitsubishi 50" Screen

Mitsubishi HSU-575 HiFi VCR

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer

Denon DRA-295 Stereo Receiver Driving Outdoor Speakers

Boston Acoustics OutDoor Speakers

My Home Theater Page http://www.geocities.com/scooterb4u/ScootersHT.html

I orginally cursed the Toshiba 5700 I had briefly, but the problems I had ended up being caused by my crappy component Monster Cables.

It wasn't a bad deal, I had picked it up for $237. It was Progressive Scan, played DVD-Audio, MP3's, VCD's.

I ended up picking up the new Denon DVD-900. Pretty happy with it for around $300. I do have noticably better sound quality coming out of the Denon over the Toshiba model (especially my older Toshiba 3109). Does not play play VCD's though.

I really wanted the Denon 2800 mkII. Had everything I really wanted and looked really good on paper, but alas, I could not justify the $850 price tag to my wife :-(

That's about all I've had first hand experience with lately.

Good luck.

------------------

Mains: KLF 10's

Center: RC-3 (I know--doesn't match mains)

Surrounds: Quintets

Receiver: Denon 3802

DVD: Toshiba 3109 and Denon DVD-900

TV: Sony 36XBR400

MIT T2 and T3cables throughout

BTW, I read a review from Sound-&-Vision on the Harmon Kardon DVD 50, they gave it a very good review. Said that the visual quality matched that of much more expensive players. I tried to find the report on their web site, but, could find the report because their site was not working very well.

Anyway, if someone has any knowledge of DVD players and what not, I would be hugely appreciative if someone could take a gander at the specks on this DVD player and tell me your opinion. http://www.harmankardon.com/product.asp?cat=DVD∏=DVD%2050&sType=

Also, on that page is a link that has an outtake from the Sound-N-Vision review.

Thanks

m00n.

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

Hey All,

But wait.

Wouldn't it be more important for it to have better video quality?

The manufacturers always flaunt their audio stuff anyways.

It seems when the price goes up they shove in more D/A this and decoding that.

If I use my receiver to decode the soundtracks why would I want to pay hundreds of dollars more?

As it is in my orig 600 dollar DVD I'm not using the decoding so I could have spent less right??

Maybe if I pay more I think I got more! Ha.

Doug

I would have to say not true to the sound quality adding extra cost.

All of the players I've used have the decoders built in, although I've never used them. I've used the decoders built in to my receivers and I've always noticed a difference in sound quality between players.

Yes it does add to teh cost for the player, but I feel you get what you pay for in this instance.

Just my 2 cents.

------------------

Moon,

Be careful with the Denons. The 2800/2800 MkII, 3800 and 9000 DVD players have what is commonly referred to as the chroma bug (Chroma Upsampling Error). Now Ive read reports that they (Denon) have cracked the code and gotten this bug fixed, either via Firmware fix or newer components for those players that havent left the factory, but IMO before I shell any money in excess of $500 2500 I would want to ensure that the player I bought has the newer fixes implemented. Other website forums address this is much more detail, but I felt you need to be aware.

I love the Denons. With the exception of the bug, they make excellent players. However, I chose to go down the middle of the road and bought the Denon 1600. This particular player has the excellent video performance of the Panasonics (Sage/Fourqua chip no chroma bug) with the outstanding audio quality that Denons specialize in.

I feel this is an excellent interim player until the HD-DVD players come out in the next two to five years.

------------------

"honesta mors turpi vita potior"

Thanks Ranger.....

I think I have decided on the Harman Kardon DVD-50. It has gotten really good reviews from people on the net as well as from a Sound&Vision article I read. It is a discontinuted DVD player, so I am hoping I can find it for a reasonable price.

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

VIDEO: InFocus ScreenPlay DLP Projector

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

May be I don't understand it correctly, but if a CD/DVD player is only used to transport the digital signal, without utilizing the player D/A converter, what difference does it make what brand and model is the player. At the and the receiver will convert the digital signal to analog.

I am thinking there shouldn't be any difference between brands in this usage, please let me know if I am mistaken.

Vladi

------------------

Front: RF-3 II

Center: RC-3 II

Surround: 2 Quintets

Subwoofer: RSW-10

Receiver: Sony STR-DA5ES

TV: Sony Wega KV-36FV27

You may be right. Maybe there is not supposed to be a differnce.

But I definately hear a difference.

------------------

quote:

Originally posted by vddobrev:

May be I don't understand it correctly, but if a CD/DVD player is only used to transport the digital signal, without utilizing the player D/A converter, what difference does it make what brand and model is the player. At the and the receiver will convert the digital signal to analog.

I am thinking there shouldn't be any difference between brands in this usage, please let me know if I am mistaken.

Vladi

Well, this is almost as big a can of worms as cables and power cords. While your comments would definitely be true in a digital computing world, where the sending and receiving units track packets, resend lost packets, can tolerate arrival delays, etc... those rules kind of fly out the window with digital audio gear.

There are some who feel that the transport is just as important as the DACs, to minimize jitter/delay/data loss/etc...

I'm not taking either side of the coin as I don't know enough about it (but that's never stopped me before).

Doug

------------------

My System

I am a Software Engineer by trade, and I wasn't aware it is kinda different in digital audio -- we have check bits and what not to ensure the packet arrived intact, etc, and if it didn't, it is requested to be sent again. But if it is not so in digital audio, then there deffinitely will be difference, relating to the quality of the laser used, and any error correction algorithms built in the player. Now that I come to think about it in more detail, I realise that, although the signal is digital, the laser assembly in the player is infact an interpreting device, and it will matter how good it is ... my theoretical thinking anyways...

------------------

Front: RF-3 II

Center: RC-3 II

Surround: 2 Quintets

Subwoofer: RSW-10

Receiver: Sony STR-DA5ES

TV: Sony Wega KV-36FV27

If you looking for a bargain high-end DVD--AUDIO player, I would recommend that you look for the Technics DVD - A10 player.

Outstanding features, top video playback capability, with the added bonus of superb DVD-Audio playback at a close-out price. This unit retailed for more than $1,200 just about a year and one half ago.

You can find this unit on the 'Net for low $$$.

Try Vanns.com and search on Technics.

The unit is extremely well-constructed.

------------------

My Home theatre setup:

*** 5 Cornwall 1s (1984-85 vintage)

*** Technics SA 10 receiver

*** Technics DVD-Audio/CD/DVD Model DVD-A10 player

*** greatly modified (by Musical Concepts) Hafler DH-200 amp

*** modified TP-450 Adcom preamp/tuner

*** greatly modified Dynaco PAT4

*** Sony WEGA 32"

*** Sony VHS Super HI-FI VCR

*** Phillips HI FI VCR recorder

Misc. equipment

*** RCA early DVD player

*** Yamaha high-end '70s vintage tuner

*** Kenwood KD500 concrete-resin base, direct-drive TT with English Mayware low-mass arm

*** Sumiko Bluepoint cartridge

*** very early (circa 1975) Polk Audio Monitor 10s (hand built by the man himself)

*** 2 early Polk Audio LF12 subwoofers

*** prototype KLH TUBE AMP (circa 1967)

hey moon, I own one of the higher end sony's. http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-3L15OZRStia/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=6&g=54400&I=158DVPNS9H&o=m&a=0 I picked it up for around 549, and would recomend it too anyone. perfect picture, great sound (195 mhz processors for front, rear, and center.). great player of SACD's too. tell me what you think!

------------------

-Trevor