DH1506 CD's $125 - Not sold, talk continues

wvu80

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-of-EV-Electro-Voice-DH1506-Horn-Drivers-TESTED-good-working-condition-/251993336345?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aabf92a19

There has been renewed interest lately in upgrading CF-3's.  The DH1506 is the upgraded CD all us upgraders tried and liked, mine is in the CF-4.  They screw right in, but require a brace to hold up the 11 pound driver (stock is 2 lbs). 

The $125 for a pair is a low price IMO (+30 shipping).  I would say $180 to $200 pr is a typical price.  A SINGLE new replacement diaphragm is $124.

This ends noon on Friday June 19, 12 hours from this posting.

No affil

Edited by wvu80

I paid about the same price for mine, but when I was looking there were none on the market.  I searched for 3 months until another pair became available.

I'm very happy with mine as well.

What exactly sounds better on these compared to your stock driver? They're both aluminium diaphragms, right? Is the EV louder? I would figure that crossover modifications would be necessary, if that's the case. I'm using EV 1824M drivers on my Sentry IV speakers (3 ways vs 2 way CF) and am curious about trying these, but I figure significant crossover mods would be necessary. I am assuming they extend higher into the treble range than my phenolic 1824M, where they would overlap too much with the ST350 tweeters. I tried a pair of Titanium EV DH2A on the Sentry midrange horn, and this was the case. Too bright sounding and irritating. I guess I should be asking how these DH1506 would compare to the newer DH2A which is one inch exit but Ti versus aluminum. Thanks for any input.

Edited by absolve2525

What exactly sounds better on these compared to your stock driver?

Think of an American muscle car.  It just rips 0-60 but at 100 MPH when you floor it, it just goes faster.  That would be the stock K-63, nothing wrong with that and you get outstanding performance.

American-Muscle-muscle-cars-534853_440_3

Now picture a European muscle car.  It will also rip 0-60, but if you floor it at 100 MPH, it just rips again driving your head into the headrest.  That's the DH1506.

Lamborghini-Veneno-Red-Art-HD-Wallpaper.

They're both aluminum diaphragms, right? Is the EV louder?

I don't know the material of each.  I would say the 1506 is louder.  If you asked me if I am giving into the "louder sounds better" camp, I would probably say that is just about right.  B)

I would figure that crossover modifications would be necessary,

I would think that too, but AlexG modded his CF-4 XO with upgraded quality but stock specs.  I would further think mods would be needed because the 1506 can be crossed at 500 Mhz with 800 Mhz being recommended.  The stock XO is 1500 Mhz.  Plug and play sounds pretty darn good with my stock CF-4 XO.

if that's the case. I'm using EV 1824M drivers on my Sentry IV speakers (3 ways vs 2 way CF) and am curious about trying these, but I figure significant crossover mods would be necessary. I am assuming they extend higher into the treble range than my phenolic 1824M, where they would overlap too much with the ST350 tweeters.

The 1506 is rated to 20,00 Mhz.  I don't find it too bright, there is no sibilance, there is no "hiss" unless I push the amp too high. I get a solid quality high range sound in terms of trumpet overtones, female vocals and upper piano.  There is PLENTY of midrange punch, while still being smooth, especially at higher volumes.

I tried a pair of Titanium EV DH2A on Sentry horn, and this was the case. Too bright sounding and irritating. I guess I should be asking how these DH1506 would compare to the newer DH2A which is one inch exit but Ti versus aluminum. Thanks for any input. [/quote

I don't know the DH2A, but I looked it up and it is a big sucker like the DH1A I had for a while (never implemented them into a system).  The DH2A is a four-bolt patter and my horn needs a 1" screw-in type.  I would like to have kept the 24 pound 4-bolt DH1A but it looked like the engineering it would have needed to get it into the CF-4 horn would be too much engineering for my limited skills.

Thanks for the analogy! I understand there was also an "HP" high performance version of this driver. I wonder what the differences were? My DH2A look a lot like your drivers, actually, with the snout adapter removed leaving leaving a one inch screw type. I'm kinda on the fence, since they look so similar to the DH2A I already have. I'm sure they're great in your two way application however!

Edited by absolve2525

What exactly sounds better on these compared to your stock driver?

Think of an American muscle car.  It just rips 0-60 but at 100 MPH when you floor it, it just goes faster.  That would be the stock K-63, nothing wrong with that and you get outstanding performance.

American-Muscle-muscle-cars-534853_440_3

Now picture a European muscle car.  It will also rip 0-60, but if you floor it at 100 MPH, it just rips again driving your head into the headrest.  That's the DH1506.

Lamborghini-Veneno-Red-Art-HD-Wallpaper.

Well said...that's a great analogy.  Exactly how I feel with mine.

Well said...that's a great analogy. Exactly how I feel with mine.

I thought about how to describe musical differences in two great drivers, but I just didn't have the words.  It was a really great question by Mr. Absolve.

All I know is I have gotten really happy listening to these speakers lately.  B)

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1