Heresy / Klipsch / Emotiva

serrada

Hi All,

Long time lurker first time poster.

I had a party and blow my speakers. Monitor Audio Silver 6s. I had my Emotive XPA-5 and my XDA-1 hooked up to an I-phone and the volume was way down on the phone and volume way up on the XDA-1 someone switched sources and there went my speakers. I got them off of the bay so no warranty. BTW Emotiva and Monitor Audio sound great together IMHO.

So not being able to dish out for a new pair I got some Heresy IIs. Long time fan of them and previously owned KG4s. My KG4s were hooked up to Carver gear and I loved the sound and listened hours on end.

With the Emotiva gear, I find the sound to be harsh and fatiguing. I hood the Heresy's up to a buddies Yamaha receiver and the sound improved for harshness. All the sources were from computer stored music.  

Regardless going to send the crossovers to Bob Crites. I love the Heresy's and want them to workout. I'm currently reworking the finish on the cabinets too.

But after reading as much as I can about this, I'm thinking I need to get some tubes involved.

Thinking of a:

- Conrad Johnson used!! tube preamplifier with the Emotiva XPA-5 that I have.

- Or something like a Peach Tree or Rogue Audio Spinx Integrated amp.

- And/Or some in-line tube buffers (I've read great reviews and ones not so great). Need some recommendations on some good ones if you know of any.

Any advise from experience is greatly appreciated. Budget $1,500 max is all I can hide from the wify.

With the Emotiva gear, I find the sound to be harsh and fatiguing.

Serrada,

Welcome to the forum.

Funny that is not the first time I heard that about Emotiva and Heritage Klipsch.  As a matter of fact when I briefly had a UPA-2 driving my Heresys, I was not impressed. 

Are you going multichannel or 2-channel?  If 2-channel, make it stereo all the way.

But after reading as much as I can about this, I'm thinking I need to get some tubes involved.   Thinking of a: - Conrad Johnson used!! tube preamplifier with the Emotiva XPA-5 that I have. - Or something like a Peach Tree or Rogue Audio Spinx Integrated amp. - And/Or some in-line tube buffers (I've read great reviews and ones not so great). Need some recommendations on some good ones if you know of any.   Any advise from experience is greatly appreciated. Budget $1,500 max is all I can hide from the wify.

I will let the tube guys chime in now.

Bill 

I have the Emo XPA-2 hooked up to both my Original Heresies and my KP-250's and both set ups sound sweet. I think it is due to the music streamer aka iphone you used which brings in a bunch of low quality transmissions. Also, I sold my Yamaha RX-V2700 recently because it did nothing for me and my Heresies. To me the Heresies pair wonderfully with the XPA series amps. One thing I would add is to upgrade to an XDA-2 from your XDA-1. Much more musical and a way better DAC built in.