Google Shares

Tarheel

Tarheel, This isn't directed specifically towards you but rather, to hope someone casually reads it and pauses to think.

Looks like you did a good trade.  People sell for a variety of reasons.

If someone owns a stock portfolio and says "I need to buy a car, I need $25,000"  (or some amount)

They will usually say to sell this & that....and when I look at those positions, they are typically the most or otherwise highly profitable positions.

I'll ask them, instead of selling "this & that", what about selling "that & that" and they won't want to sell those because they're down and they don't want to "lose anything"

Hmmmmm....

So, this is where the 2 cent commentary begins.

Think of your wife/mother/grandmother.  They might have a rose bush outside.  It's spring and it's time to tend to the plants.  They are going to trim things up to make them pretty.

Would you presume your mother would take her clippers and hack away at the rose bush?

Nope

Do you think she'd first, cut all the pretty flowers and healthy growth?

Nope

Or, do you think she might first, step back, look at what she's got and cut the deadwood.  Getting rid of all the crap and once that is gone, re-evaluate her situation and THEN, perhaps start trimming some healthy sprouts?

Bingo

So in the world of stocks....  I'll have someone say they need "X" dollars and to sell positions 1,2 and 3 which are their profitable positions.

I'll go through the above analogy with them....then ask...

Would it make sense to first, cut the deadwood out of your account and then, to the degree those don't get you the amount you need, THEN start to trim your winners?  Otherwise what is going to happen is you are going to trim your winners and having nothing left but a portfolio of losers.  Besides, you "hired" (bought) each of those for a reason....ostensibly to have them go up and make money.  Why "fire" those that are doing what you want.....and keep those that are not?

Makes them think a bit.

:) 

• Like 1

Thanks Richard you know I value your input and have sought it on occasion.  You may recall when I called you about Wells Fargo and my trading that stock over and over.

I just typed a long page of my reasons for the sell but lost it before finishing and just coming in from yard work I'm too tired to write it again. 

The short version is......rebalancing my portfolio.  Google got to be a disproportionate chunk of my portfolio.  My original buy in at $260 split adjusted is now worth $1375/share.  I sold off roughly a third of my shares....made enough to buy new Khorns if so desired.  But I won't.  When/if it comes down to $600 I'll buy it back and then some.  That's just how my tiny brain works :mellow:

My bud Cramer reminds me from time to time that "bulls make money, bears make money, but hogs get slaughtered".