Mini Mites Open Baffle Speakers (Midget Yields)

justinsweber

Introducing the Mini Might open-baffle loudspeaker.
2 versions of the Mini Mites. Based on the Yield project by Dave...

These are finished in Sapele and walnut depending on the version... the Veneer work is exceptional and includes grills. Outboard crossovers allow for active crossovers too.

The Mini Might has been a long time in the works, and after numerous revisions I have a product worthy of the most discerning Audiophiles. The Mini might is based on the Yield Loud speaker. The Mini mights bring this design to the size which can accommodate any home. The Mini might provide for incredibly deep bass down to 32hz through 200z with use of the single 15" woofer and utilizing a 2nd order network for tight non boxy (single note bass).

The heart of the Mini Might is from the work of David Dicks of Common Sense Audio. The Audio Nirvana Super 8 driver has been lurking in the back of my mind since I tried it in one of my active reference designs 5+ years ago. The Super 8 is literally the only paper cone driver I have heard that has dynamics and soundstage so lively I feel like I am listening to a quality horn system, yet retains the subtleties and nuance of its paper cone heritage. Search Audio Nirvana Super 8 and youll hear many speak volumes as to its warmth and richness.

The bass section of the Mini Might is a highly modified Martin King design utilizing a single Eminence Alpha 15A driver. The Mini Might bass section also incorporates the use of a bandpass bass section, so named the "LBAT" or Loaded Baffle Acoustic Transducer, which reduces distortion, increases spl and power handling.

The Loaded Baffle Acoustic Transducer. What is L.B.A.T.? The L.B.AT. is basically a loaded open baffle, similar to the loading of a horn driver but without the flair. The technical benefits of this design is: Bandpass filtering. Lower distortion. Increased power handling.The listening benefits of this design is: Realistic bass. Speed and accuracy.

How does L.B.A.T. work? Newtons law: For each and every action, there is an equal and oposite reaction. The L.B.A.T. has an orfice in the front and open baffle to the rear. As the woofer moves forward, it attempts to move in a linear forward motion, but the port creates a high pressure area which causes the wave to compress thus accelerating the wave through the port. When the woofer changes direction, the opposite occurs. The port resistance creates a low pressure area in the L.B.A.T. chamber which slows the rear wave. The purpose for delaying the rear wave is to reduce or eliminate low frequency cancellation.

The Mini Might are 28"tall, 20" wide and 10" deep. The will play from 32z to 20khz with -3db ~94db efficient. 1 15" woofers for bass frequencies and a 8" full range. This speaker is simply incredible. Ive owned 1 pair previously and these are one of my favorite speakers... compare well with Wilson sophia and YG acoustics. Happy to audition with reference level equipment.

Go to our website to see the quality of our work. ampsandsound.com
Similar to the Emerald Physics CS2.3... instead of a 3 way with a coxial requiring a lot of EQ. The yield is a 2 way crossing at 200z. I have over $2100 in this pair but am forced to sell. My loss your gain. This is the closest Ive gotten to true highness sound... no tubby bass.

$1200 per pair. Happy to ship.  Justin 323-868-9722

gallery_36992_217_69050.jpg
gallery_36992_217_27108.jpg
gallery_36992_217_91580.jpg
gallery_36992_217_32845.jpg

Those are truly funky looking speakers, the specs are very impressive.

Stupid question alert: does an open baffle function something like an Ohm speaker? I have been fascinated by that design but have never heard-or actually seen one.

Edited by YK Thom