The Audiophile's Dilemma.....

jimjimbo

Some of the engineering on Crystal Clear direct-to-disc sessions is so good that even Chrome cassettes made from the back-up reel-to-reel tapes sound good!  One of these is titled something like Sonic Spectaculars.  It has the old war horses, including the best version of Fanfare for the Common Man*, IMO.  I wonder if those old back-up tapes still exist?  Maybe they could be put on SACD or something better.

* Bass control + 12 dB really rocks, +16dB, still clean, bends the framing of the room.

You are thinking of Sonic Fireworks.  I've been hoping to find in high res some day... I think I had the cassette but was lost long ago.  

off topic:

I've been looking for a GOOD version of "Fanfare for the Common Man."   No luck so far but I must have 6 or more versions.  With the versions that sound good I don't like the performance.  They rush it and play too fast... run notes together that should be.. what's their hurry?!  Bernstein had some place to be I think.  The only performance I really like is a pretty lousy recording I got in the early 90's  (Copland Conducts Copland - London Symphony Orchestra).   Who's going to conduct Copland better than Copland after all?!  Would love to hear suggestions on other versions.

Thanks.

The version on Sonic Fireworks is the best I've heard.  I don't remember who conducted it.