Any have experence(good or bad) with an Integra 9.9 Preamp/Processor?

edzu1234

I just bought an Integra 9.9Preamp/Processor.  Does anyone on the forum have any experience with the unit and if you do, is there anything I have to look for on the machine(quirks)?  Also, if you have used the processor, are the any tips or tricks that you have acquired, to get the utmost out of home theatre and stereo listing pleasure.  Thanks in advance for your expertise.

Does anyone on the forum have any experience with the unit and if you do, is there anything I have to look for on the machine(quirks)? Also, if you have used the processor, are the any tips or tricks that you have acquired, to get the utmost out of home theatre and stereo listing pleasure. Thanks in advance for your expertise.

The answer is yes, if you consider the following: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/95-v-receivers-amplifiers/112804-onkyo-google-page-ranking-sc886-integra-dhc-9-9-a.html.  I've owned a PR-SC886 for about 5 years now.

Quirks: understanding the features of the unit vis-à-vis the user manual is critical.  For instance, if you are playing SACDs, you'll need to place it in "DSD" mode, or DVD-A mode for playing back DVD-As.  This isn't very clear in the manual. 

"Pure Audio" mode turns off the subwoofer channel if you are using the subwoofers all the time to complete the two-channel frequency handing of your setup below the range that your fronts can handle (subwoofer on multi-channel SACDs, too).  That's why you'll need the DSD and DVD-A modes - to keep your sub(s) on during playback.

I've had zero HDMI issues.  Just make sure that your cables are fully seated in the connectors and that you have no open circuits or intermittent connections in any cables due to handling or wear-and-tear.  I'd provide separate power protector for this unit from any power amplifiers, and turn it off and on separately from those amplifiers/active crossovers.

The phono input sucks: it has a great deal of 60/120 hum (even grounded properly), so I use an external add-on phono preamplifier in through an Aux port on the AVP.  Works great.

I use an optical S/PDIF cable of long length from my TV output to input to the sound system - the TV has a grounding issue with respect to the preamp.  I believe this is a TV issue.  Anyhow, the optical cable solved all audio issues playing back broadcast TV audio.  You'll have to set the delay correction for picture/audio to something like 50 or 60 ms delay to sync up with the TV audio.

I actually think that this unit is one of the best pieces of gear that I've owned.  I don't have any reason to replace it even after owning it 5 years.

If you're wanting 3-D video and you've got a TV to do it, simply connect the video HDMI from your 3-D player directly to your 3-D-capable TV (HDMI input port).  I don't use 3-D, so this isn't an issue for me.

Chris

Edited by Chris A

Don't get me wrong the 9.9 is a great processor but all Onkyo products are prone to HDMI audio issues because of heat and reflow issues with the HDMI board. The kind of popping sound is something all Integra's have. I know both of mine do....both of my Integra's sound and work great.....I did need to have HDMI board replaced in my 40.1

• Like 1

I have never experienced anything like that (HDMI issues or heat related issues)...and I don't live in cold country...

Chris

PR-SC886

I almost purchased one of those today, but was outbid at the last minute. 

I have had my Onkyo receiver for over two years, yes I had sound issues and networking issues.  Six months out of warranty and they still fixed it for free, I mean for free. They shipped a prepaid box, I shipped it to them, and the shipped it back fixed and ready to go, no cost to me what so ever.   Great service.  Let us know what you think.