FYI Inspire amps from Dennis Had

FloridaBoy

Dennis Had, founder and former CEO of Cary Audio, is building single ended amps and selling them on the auction site. This is his retirement hobby. I bought an amp and subsequently purchased a pre amp. No affiliation, just a very satisfied customer. My amp has 20 watt transformers and uses one pair of 6V6's-KT150 by running different rectifiers. Input tube can be a single 6SN7 or 6SL7. 5-12 watts depending on the output tube used. The pre amp uses a pair of 27 triodes, 6BX7 cathode follower and a 80/5y3 rectifier.

I have owned a lot of gear over the years but these offerings are outstanding and affordable. They perform well above the price point. I am driving Heresy III's.

I brought my amp and preamp to a friend’s house that has modified Klipsch La Scala's 104db. Only the bass bin is stock. The Inspire gear was dead silent. Started out with Penta Labs KT88's, nice. Moved on to Sylvania 6L6G's. Very nice but I liked them better with my Heresy III's. Up next were the Pope 6V6GT's. Here is where it gets interesting. I forgot to change the rectifier and ran them with a 5Z3/5U4G instead of a 5Y3/80. Without fanfare this combo was absolutely wonderful. Huge soundstage..blah blah blah, etc. My buddy was floored, so was I. We then used the LP27a with his 45 and 2A3 SET amps. I preferred the Tom McNally 2A3. The 45 was a Korneff clone that had not been run for a year so it may have needed some more time to get settled in. The Pope/5Z3 combo was not in the least embarrassed. It was that good.

6V6G ST shape 6V6G's must use a 5Y3 or 80 rectifier. The Pope's are 6V6GT and can be run with a 5Z3/5U4G, 274B, GZ34, GZ33 etc. I was not sure of that until it was confirmed by Dennis.

Long ago PWK said he wanted a great 5 watt amplifier. IMHO, these are a great match for Klipsch speakers.

Google Inspire amplifier for reviews etc.

• Like 1

Thanks. I use a Havana too...still have not found anything I like better. I hope to be on a computer soon.

Hello, Yea I recently switched out the Havana for the Metrum Octave mk1, It is a NOS dac as well except no tubes and higher res abilities (which was my reason for going to Metrum)  While the Metrum is more open with better PRAT I do miss the tube warmness of the Havana, I & 2 others found the Havana a bit veiled  in Blind testing 

The Havana could be veiled and I'd never know it...until I heard something better. :)  I did change the coupling caps to PIO's and that was a nice improvement. The Metrum is certainly reasonably priced and well received. Once I get computerized I may be looking at DAC's again.