anyone wanna build their own tube amp?

prodj101

Hey, I was just curious if anyone has ever considered building their own tube amp. It's alot easier than you would think, and I'd be more than willing to help u out with it. a circuit that I am currently building is on this link. http://www.mc-h.demon.co.uk/hpamp100w.html

If you know your tube types, it uses 4 KT88 tubes for a total of 100 watts Ultralinear. not bad for tube power! Anyway, post any comments or questions right here, and I will answer them, or contact me via email or instant messanger.

------------------

-Trevor

prodj101,

The SF-2 are 96db speakers I have driven them with 20 Watts and they will blat you out of the room. 100 Watts is way more than a 96 db speaker would ever use.

Craig

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

JVC JL-F50 Turn Table

Sony CDP-CA7ES CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I W/Layne Audio Woofers

KSW-15 Subs>c>

I agree with Deneen. I usualy don't care much for the 6550/KT88 tube type unless you have very inefficient speakers.

When I was a reviewer for SoundStage!, I reviewed an 6550 amp with a switchable Ultralinear/Triode mode. Quite a difference. I had heard this amp at CES on 2 occasions before rviewing it and was pretty impressed. Tube brands also made a difference

Here's my review:

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/margules_u280sc.htm

Triode mode will be much easier on the ears and you'll also hear more dynamic range.

Good luck!

Mike

------------------

Transport: CEC TL-2X

DAC: Audiomat Maestro

Pre-amp: Wyetech Jade

Amps: Jeff Korneff 45

Interconects: Analysis Plus Solo Monocrystal

Speaker cable: Analysis Plus Solo Monocrystal

Power cords: CPCC Top Gun and Model 11

Line conditioner: CPCC Super Power Block

Equip Stand: Grand Prix Audio Monaco

Belle Klipsch, K-horns

See Trevor? Mike82 uses a 45 tube in SET that pumps off maybe a watt and a half.

(Although, I'm pretty sure the Korneff is a two channel, there ain't a whole helluva lot of net info on these amps.)

Low powered SET is the way to go with high-efficiency speakers, 100 watts is just a waste unless you have a large audutorium for a listening area, or you are into Death Metal, or sumthin'.

I have been looking for a good tube amp design that is simple and delivers about 10 watts into 8 ohms... to drive KG-2.5's. Some of that stuff on the tube amp schematics is wierd though. I just completed building a headphone amp that was designed to fit in an Altoid can, it sounds great, so now I am going on to bigger and betetr things... Smile.gif There was a kit I saw for around $40 that was DIY tube 35W, not exactly a Moondog or anything, but it would be a good thing to prove to myslef that I could do it... then I could use the schems and build one aout of better stuff. I really need an amp sooooo very bad. Not being able to listen to the KG's is killing me... cwm6.gif

------------------

SoundWise / ProMedia Tech Support / 1-888-554-5665s>

hey, to let you know, the tube amp I'm building is not exactly the same as the link I posted in the first post. Mine will use things like a 12 h choke instead of 1, 400 uf capacitors instead of 120, and various other upgrades that I made to the design.

------------------

-Trevor

I found a box of old tubes in the barn, can I make a a cool amp out of them? I cleaned off the dust and it looks like I got the following tubes: 1- "80", 3-"42", 1-"37" (possibly an 87?), 2-"78", 1-"76", 1- "77".

How about a tube amp contest where the idea is to find some old piece of tube gear , an old radio or rusty old hi-fi, or a big box of antique tubes, and then convert it into a nice audio amp with the minimum amount of additional expense. The goal would be to find a way to utilize as much as possible from the box of stuff.

Is it theoretically possible to make amps out of almost any tubes, given that there are only basic differences like diodes, try odes, hip toads, pent up toads, etc.?

In a pinch could you wrap your own transformers if you had a bunch of wire and some iron? Capacitors out of some tin foil,paper and bees wax? Maybe mount the stuff on a nice log. Solar powered soldering iron?

A big treadmill generator that you run around on to produce electricity ( the human variac) which would look really cool right next to a turntable with some home made vinyl recordings. OK, I got a little carried away.....

-zabba dabba doo

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

This message has been edited by Clipped and Shorn on 08-20-2002 at 05:52 PM

actually, it's not too hard to wind your own transformers, provided you know how to do it. There are a good number of companys that will wind transformers custom to your requirments. Also, you'll have a hard time using rectifier tubes or input tubes only to build a tube amp.

------------------

-Trevor

It is not hard to wind your own transformer, but to wind a good transformer is tricky Smile.gif Especially in a tube amp, the output transformer is a very important factor apart from the circuit design.

There are many well-established transformer makers in Europe that can custom-make decent high quality transformers:

Lundahl-http://www.lundahl.se/

Bartolucci-http://www.triodes.nl/transformers/bartolucci/menu_barto.html

Sowter-http://www.sowter.co.uk/

------------------

Solstice